Expand my Community achievements bar.

July 31st AEM Gems Webinar: Elevate your AEM development to master the integration of private GitHub repositories within AEM Cloud Manager.

Getting started...

Former Community Member
I'm looking at the Reader Extensions Server so that our users who have Adobe Reader can add "online" comments to PDF files stored on our web server.

Everything i've read suggests this can be done, I've added additional usage rights using the Reader Extensions server, but when I open the file in a web browser with Reader 7 installed, I never get the commenting toolbar.

What am I doing wrong? Is there such a thing as a tutorial for this?

Hope someone can help!!!
10 Replies

Former Community Member
Seems to be a recurring theme. Not too much information in how to use this. I'm trying to get readers to fill in forms and save them. Apparently it can be done but how????

Former Community Member
Julian,

Which version of the Reader Extension Server that you are using?

Former Community Member
The header of the admin page reads "Adobe Document Server 6.0 for Reader Extensions"

The software seems to work, in that I can upload files via the web admin front-end and set usage rights. I just don't know what to do next as far as getting Adobe Reader users to be able to do "online" commenting.

Former Community Member
I'm having the same problem with Livecycle Reader Extensions 7. I have a WebDAV Folder setup for Online collaboration. After I "right enable" the pdf file, I start a browser-based review in Acrobat 7 which uploads the pdf file to the WebDAV folder and sends invitatons to comment on the pdf file "online". Acrobat 7 users are able to comment and annotate but not Acrobat Reader 7 users. The commenting toolbar does not appear and cannot be found anywhere.

Former Community Member
It is my understanding that if you take a document and run it through LiveCycle Reader Extensions 7.0 and add the commenting ability, and then take the document in Acrobat and initiate an browser-based review, that as part of this, everything is set in the PDF that the Adobe Reader clients will need and they should not be required to do anything. Did you initiate an browser-based review with Acrobat? This will require the Adobe Reader client's to have e-mail capabilities as well.

Former Community Member
Yes I did. I put the pdf document through the Livecycle Reader Extensions Server to add the commenting ability in Acrobat Reader. Then I initiated a browser-based review using Acrobat 7 Professional. The reviewers with Acrobat Pro (or Standard) can add their comments but not the ones with Adobe Reader only.

Former Community Member
When you added the rights to the form, did you check the select

"Commenting: add, delete, modify, copy, import, and export"? or did you select

"Online comments in web browser"?

The latter was a feature that was not implemented and should really be grayed out. Simply select the first check box. When you open the form in Reader, you should see "Document Rights and Instructions" with a small icon you can click to see what rights were added to the form. When I do this, I get the commenting toolbar enabled (Comment and Markup). One thing to note, if the document is a form, the fields will all become read-only.

Former Community Member
I check both checkboxes. When I open the pdf file directly in Acrobat Reader, it works, but when I Start a browser-based review (with a WebDAV folder as my comments repository, it does not work with Reader.

Former Community Member
It is because Adobe diables the capability of commenting in browser in Reader 7. If you want to add comments in browser, stick to Reader 6.

Former Community Member
Hi all,

I think I have found a solution. What Tim says used to be correct till now, but it seems that Adobe decided to change this behaviour in RE v7.0.2

You may want to read my post here:

Evangelos Kokkoris, "Problems with enabling commenting toolbar on Reader 7" #2, 27 Nov 2005 8:53 am

HTH,

Evangelos