Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Getting form field data from email attached pdf file

Level 8
Level 8
Hi again,

Sorry to spam the list so much, I just keep on encountering some problems :-|

My question goes to how I can get the form field data available in Workspace view for a process.

I'm initiating a process by email and I get the form shown in WS, however the data that entered in the form fields are not there.

I guess it has something to do with the "Input Parameter Mappings"/"Output Parameter Mappings" however I have not been able to set it up correctly.

Hope you can help me with this problem...

Sincerely

Kim Christensen

Dafolo A/S

Denmark
15 Replies

Level 10
Can you just give me a bit more information about your process. Do you have a submit button on the form that sends an email back to LiveCycle.

Have you setup an email endpoint to one of your process? What are the endpoint variable mapping settings?

Do you email the PDF, XDP or XML data?

Jasmin

Level 8
Level 8
Ok, here goes...

The form does not contain an email submit button, until now I have just . However I will try to add an email submit button to the form to see if it makes a difference.

Yes I have (successfully i guess) set up an email endpoint that kicks off the process. However it seems only to work if I set the process creator to SuperAdmin (I hvae tried setting it to another user with init_permit without luck.

As it is now I have only tried to edit a PDF form in Acrobat Professional and saving the file with data. This file is then attached to an email and sent to the mailbox listened to by the endpoint.

I'll report my experment with the email submit button back to you when I have tested it fully.

Once again thanks for the effort

Sincerely

Kim Christensen

Dafolo A/S

Denmark

Level 8
Level 8
Hi again,

Using a email submit button did not help. I still get no data from the fields.

Sincerely

Kim Christensen

Dafolo A/S

Denmark

Level 10
What are you endpoint variable settings?

Jasmin

Level 8
Level 8
I actually hve not set anything up in the "Input Parameter Mapppings" and "Output Parameter Mapppings". How should they be set to point at the form data?

Sincerely

Kim Christensen

Dafolo A/S

Denmark

Level 10
If I understand properly, you are sending an email with a PDF attached to it to a process that has an email endpoint. Let me know if that's not the case.

If that's the case then, create an IN variable (in the process that has the email endpoint) of type "document". Then in your email endpoint configuration under the Input Parameter Mappings section, set that variable to *.*. This will put any attachment in the variable of type document.

Now, once you're in the process, you can use the Form Data Integration service (under Common) to export the data form the PDF.

Jasmin

Level 8
Level 8
You understand the scenario correctly, I guess it it the same as having a "Submit by Email" button. Should it really be necessary to use the exportData service to get access to the data?

I will try your suggestion and will report back to you when I have succeeded.

Thanks for your help

Sincerely

Kim Christensen

Dafolo A/S

Denmark

Level 10
If you submit a PDF you need to export that data to get to it. If you email back xml or xdp, then obviously you can just parse the attachment to get the data.

Jasmin

Level 8
Level 8
OK, I have made the form submit xdp instead of PDF. This still does not give me any data in the form fields. I am not sure how I am supposed to parse the xml when I receive it in the email. Can you help me here?

BTW, when invoking my process i get the following warnings from the server:

2007-11-08 10:56:18,827 INFO [com.adobe.formServer.FormServer] ALC-FRM-001-501: FormName:/Friplads/Forms/FripladsAnsoegning.xdp : FormPreference:PDFForm : Debug:false : PDFVersion:null : Content Root:repository:// : Base URL:null : App Root:http://dafolo25:8080/workspace-server/submit : User Agent:null

2007-11-08 10:56:19,014 WARN [com.adobe.document.XMLFormService] $$$/com/adobe/document/xmlform/msg.XFA=access is not a valid attribute of subform, Attribute not loaded. Line 12.

2007-11-08 10:56:19,014 WARN [com.adobe.document.XMLFormService] $$$/com/adobe/document/xmlform/msg.XFA=access is not a valid attribute of subform, Attribute not loaded. Line 587.

I don't know if this is a problem or I have to look elsewhere for the cause of this problem.

Sincerely

Kim Christensen

Dafolo A/S

Denmark

Level 10
Before you send the email, can you check the attachment (XDP) before you send it. Does it contain the fields data at that point?

What is the type of your input variable for process that receives the email?

Jasmin

Level 8
Level 8
Yes, the data is there I have checked it.

My input variable is an xfaform, set for rendering an xdp file (like described in another post).

Does that pose a problem?

Sincerely

Kim Christensen

Dafolo A/S

Denmark

Former Community Member
Hi

What is the first step in the process which gets started on receiving the email?Alos can you please send me your process via email to mergeandfuse@gmail.com

Level 8
Level 8
The first step in my process is a "Set Value" service which does nothing on the Form values, however I have also tried to put an "Assign User" as the first step. Without any luck :-(

I will try to send the process to you later today or tomorrow, when I have experimented some more with the email endpoint.

Thanks in advance

Kim Christensen

Dafolo A/S

Denmark

Former Community Member
Hi:

I am having a similar problem KIM faced. I am attaching an XDP to the email but the set value function is doing nothing, when the process initiates there is no data in the form?

Can anyone help me with that?

Thanks in Advance

Nadir Maroof

Level 9
Use the VariableLogger to help you debug what's actually in your variables.

Howard

http://www.avoka.com