Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Form Size becoming Too large

Former Community Member
Hello,

I have a very strange problem.

I designed a fillable form using Designer7.0. I reader enabled the form using Adobe Reader Extensions Server 7.0, so that users use their Adobe reader(7.0.5) to fill in the form. The empty PDF form is around 700KB in size.

Now, When the user filled the form manually typing the data(25KB data) in the form and saved it. It saved as 60 MB file. I cannot justify this increase of the size anyways to my authorities. I am looking forward to hearing from you so that I can tell then what can be the possible reasons for this.

Also One more observation. When I imported the 25KB XML file into the empty form and save it, it is just 1.1MB in size.

Please help me understand whats going behind the scenes?

Thank you for your attention

Sam
10 Replies

Former Community Member
I am facing a similar problem with Acrobat. When I create a form template in InDesign the filesize is around 60 KB, however, as soon as I add a couple of text boxes in Acrobat, the size jumps up to 350+ kb! all I did was add a text box!

what could the reason be? how could I solve this?

Former Community Member
In Designer, during the initial (or subsequent) "save as", uncheck the "embed fonts" option. This solved my problem. I too was a little distraught over having 50 some forms on our company intranet with each being almost half a meg.

Former Community Member
Hi Shashi,

This is a known problem with Reader Extended PDFs. Version 7.0.7 of Acrobat/Reader has reduced the amount of growth in saved Reader Enabled PDFs.

Denver Green

Adobe Enterprise Developer Support

Level 2
Denver, what exactly is a "Reader extended" PDF? I have had users reporting the same problem with forms out of Designer. Bloating up many times their initial size, but not for every user. Their systems have been crashing because of it. This is a major problem.

What can be done about it?

Harry

Level 2
Denver, my forms do not require Reader Extension enabling, and are straight out of Designer 7.0. Yet they are bloating out hugely when opened in Acrobat and saved, even if only one or 2 fields are entered.

Harry

Former Community Member
Download version 7.07 and give it a try. It may solve your problem.

Denver

Adobe Enterprise Support

Former Community Member
Hello,

I have the same problem.

I have a file with 1,5MB at the start. if I fill the first field out of the interface and save that form, the size grows up to 2,9MB.

If I fill the form completely, to size grows up to 16MB.

I'm using Adobe Acrobat Standard 8.1.2 and Livecycle Designer 8.0.

Is here also an known bug or are there other ideas to solve that problems?

Level 2

Hi,

I had a similar problem with a pdf created in LCD. If you ever open a pdf form in LCD and see a message about it being Reader Enabled and that you have to overwrite it, you likely have the same problem I had... My file went from less than 300 kb to more than 16 Mb... and back to around 300 kb with the following solution...

For a reason not very clear, once a file has been applied the Reader Enabled  feature inside Acrobat, if we open it again inside LCD it kind of keeps a memory  and every time we save it adds to it.

What I had to do is  open the pdf file in Acrobat, reapply the Reader Enabled feature (LCD asked me  to remove it when I opened it inside of it) and then do a File --> Save a copy. It  removes the right and all the “memory” of the file and brings it back to a small  file (about 300kb in my case, instead of the more than 15Mo it was  then)!

So, now, every time  that I need to edit a file, I first do a Save a copy in Acrobat (only available  if the pdf has been Reader Enabled) and open it in LCD. No more  problems…

Level 1

i have the similiar kind of problem ...when i fill my Form on adobe reader 7.05 and sign and save as (first attempt) size goes too high ..if i sign and save as again after clearing the first attempted sign the size got reduced.....but the problem is that i have to reduce it in the first attempt of signing..........plz suggest a solution .......

Level 2

Well, looks like your bug is the one described by Denver... Upgrade to at least version 7.0.7 to correct the bug...