Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Floating Text?! Please Help!?

Former Community Member
I am trying to create a document in Adobe Livecycle 8. I have a document that is 3 pages long, i want the user to enter their name and other info on the first page and have that information automaticly fill in on the other pages which are full paragraphs. Please help with any input thanks!!!!

Example...

{1st Page}

Name:___________

Telephone:_________

{Second Page}

I, ------, am here to state today that my phone number is ------ and i am --- years old

so now how can i get that info from the first page to fill in to the right places on the second page?... *Confussed* please help thank you!
24 Replies

Former Community Member
As far as I know you have to use "global" textfields with the same names. It's found somewhere near the "Database Connection" Menu. (I use Livecycle 7) where you have to set "normal" to "global".

Former Community Member
jesse112,

You can do this!

The key is to create a static text object with a Floating Field into the text. So it would look something like this:

I, {floatingField1}, am here to state today that my phone number is {floatingField2} and I am {floatingField3} years old.

Then in each of the fields on the first page you would enter the following javascript in the "exit" event. Here is what you would type into the Name field:

xfa.resolveNode("SOM expression to floatingField1").rawValue = this.rawValue;

xfa.layout.relayout();

Now the "SOM expression to floatingField1" is the path to the floating Field1. If you look in the Hierarchy tab in Designer you will see how the path might look: "form1.page2.subform...floatingField1". It just depends on how you setup your form. If you have the floating field on another page you will at least have to do the "form1.pagex..." to get Acrobat to look a the correct page. If you have added subforms you will have to for sure get to the subform that the floating field static text object is contained.

Rick Kuhlmann

Tech-Pro

Former Community Member
Rick thank you so much for your valuable reply!! I am fairly new to all this so I would like to request a little more information...

Lets say I have a blank LiveCycle page, I then go to insert and insert a text field then i go and insert a text....now within this text is my sentence...I want to thank {TextField}.

Can you give me a step by step on how to connect these two fields... if I can get this to work I can apply it to the rest. I gave an example on this website as to what Im talking about... Thanks for any help you can offer!!

http://www.sierracanyonpt.com/help1.htm

Former Community Member
Rick,

I'm actually curious and also could use some clarification. Is your {floating field} a static text object or text field? If so, how do you avoid the blank space after the {floating field}?

Now if {floating field} was just some text and you did a search/replace on the string {floating field}, then that would make more sense.

THanks,

scott

Former Community Member
Jesse112,

Why don't you send me the file you linked to in your last post. I will put the javascript on it and sent it back.

formman@ix.netcom.com

Rick Kuhlmann

Former Community Member
Scott,

A floating field is a text object that is placed inside a static text object. It has most of the properties of a real text field.

If you look in the Hierarchy you can see that the floating field is a text field. Because it behaves like a real text object you can apply javascript to manipulate it.

That is not to say that you could not parse the xml to find static text and change it but I would not advocate that method.

Rick Kuhlmann

Former Community Member
Rick,

Thanks, I'd like to see the result. I can see how javascript could easily modify the contents of the { }, but I don't see how your floating field can be embedded within a sentence and move accordingly or even remove the trailing blank space.

I'd be impressed to see this solution. Other than a search/replace of text, I don't see any other way.

Thanks,

Scott

Former Community Member
Scott,

The process is really simple.

1. Create a static text object.

2. Select the place you want to add the floating text within the static text object

3 From the menu select Insert/Floating field.

4. The floating field will be inserted in the static text object.

5. Apply the javascript to the other object where the data is being entered.

Done.

Rick Kuhlmann

If you put your e-mail up here I will send you a file.

Former Community Member
Rick,

Wow, now I see it in the Insert menu. I was looking for the Floating field in the Insert/Standard menu. I didn't even know livecycle had such a thing. This is great, thank you for taking the time letting us all know it exists (or at least me!).

Scott

Former Community Member
Rick Kuhlmann is a genius people!! Thank you for your help Rick!!

Level 1
I'm having a problem with this. Can anyone send me a REALLY short example PDF? Like two text boxes, and one static text box with two floating fields within it?

brianpadgett at rocketmail dot com

Thanks!

Brian

Former Community Member
Is it possible to make floating field as Editable?

Former Community Member
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to do something similar, and tried to adapt Rick's script as given above, but I can't get it to run. Anyone know where to find detailed instructions/ sample scripts??

Thanks,

Mollie

Former Community Member
Me again!

I've made some progress, but I'm still having problems, and I don't know any other users, so I'll cross my fingers and post again...

I have a 2 page form. On the first page, users enter data that is supposed to appear in floating fields on the second page. I've inserted the floating fields, written the script for the source objects, and checked/ double-checked/ triple-checked my paths. Unfortunately, the text still appears in a mystery field on the second page that I never created, rather than the location I specified.

Anyone know what might be happening here?? I'm spending so many hours on this seemingly simple action... Any help would be appreciated,

Mollie

Former Community Member
Hey Mollie, send me an email and i will send you a sample form that may help you, this was done by 'Rick Kuhlmann' (one of the members on this forum) and it helped me out a lot!! email me at ebuyer11 at hot mail.

Former Community Member
Hi,

Could someone send me an example file about the floating field in static text object,made by Rick Kuhlmann.

I tried it out, but could'nt it make to work.

email to : mamjodhmailvalid-aflc08@yahoo.fr

Thanks, regards Mike

Former Community Member
Hi Jesse112,

Thanks really a lot for sending me the example file.

And thanks to Rick Kuhlman for making the example.

Thanks again to both.

Regards Mike

Former Community Member
I need the Example PDF can anyone please email at fparpia@gmail.com or farhan.ali@systemsltd.com

Thanks In Advance

Regards

Farhan Parpia

Former Community Member
Hi to everybody,

Thanks to Jesse112 and Rick Kuhlman for the, floating text in static object file, i see on this post that more and more people, likes to have the example file.

So i put here a link to that file, so that anybody can download it.

Click on the link here below

Then ones on the web page click on the file link.

That will open another page, where you will have an download button.

Every file is scanned for viruses so it is save.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=1478e13c808eda5b4012e8015643d9c85f047ffd0bd68f8d

Regards Mike

Level 1
Hi, can you help me download the file. I leave my mail address.

Thank you

frat.isseverr@outlook.com