Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Flexibility of PDF forms after opening in Reader and its cooperation with webservice

Former Community Member
Hi everyone,

I have few questions connected with flexibility of PDF forms after opening in Reader and cooperation with web service:

1. Is there a possibility to pass any parameter from webbrowser to Adobe Reader?

Example: User logs into some web application, he clicks link open PDF, and ie. is there a way to pass logged user ID (some String) to PDF?

2. Secure connection between PDF form and Web service

I have found info in Designer help:

Using LiveCycle Designer ES and a WSDL data connection, you can perform the following tasks:

R26; Use the SOAP 1.1 style communication (SOAP bindings and an HTTP transport).

These features are not supported:

R26; Secured web services. If you try to create a data connection to a WSDL using HTTPS, an error message appears.

However in http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/js_api_reference.pdf ( SOAP, page 657) I have found info that wsdl link can be accessed via HTTPS. Is this only and possible way of secure this kind of connection?

3. Security warning while accessing webservice

Is have that a way not to show user a Security Warning alert while trying to connect to webservice from PDF form is to:

The only way to certify the document is to use Document Security Server or manually through Acrobat by adding a blank signature.

Will that work also with self-signed Digital ID created in Acrobat or it needs to be valid certificate?

Thanks,

Jan Kropiwnicki
3 Replies

Former Community Member
1. No ..Reader acts as a sandbox and you cannot pass things in or out unless you use something like a DB connection or a soap connection.

2. Yes Web services are supported. Secure web service support was added in version 9. If you are using Reader to render the forms, Web Services will not work out of the box. You must Reader Extend your form using LiveCylcle Reader Extensions server to allow this functionality to be used. Note that extending it in Acrobat will not do it!

3. The warning is indicating to the user that this PDF is going outside of their domain and making sure they are aware. If you use a secure web service then you will be prompted for credentials. There is a checkbox on the warning that will ask you if you will always trust this site. If you say yes then you will not be prompted again until you start a new instance of Acrobat/Reader.

Former Community Member
Thank you Paul.

I have one more question about point 3:

What if PDF form certified using Digital Signatures ES/Policy Server and then Reader Extended? Will that remove warning window or there is no way to remove this pop up?

Former Community Member
I believe that certifyinng will remove that warning but that is a lot of pain to go through just to remove a warning.