Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Fillable Fields Won't Work Computer to Computer

Former Community Member
I created a form containing fillable fields using LiveCycle Designer 8. The security setting is "none". I enabled usage rights using Acrobat 8 Pro. The form works fine. I saved the form to a memory stick and tried to open it on another computer running Reader 8. Form works fine. Moved the memory stick to a third computer running Reader 8, and the form won't work. In the form properties, under security, filling the fields is disabled. Tabbing between fields and radio buttons do not work properly. Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!!!
10 Replies

Level 7
You have to be careful when saving with a full version of Acrobat, as it will remove the Extended Rights. You should be copying the file through the OS and not by using Acrobat.

Former Community Member
I don't think that's his scenario.

He created the file with Acrobat 8 Pro on machine A

then

Opened the file with the Reader on machine B and saved some form changes

then

Opened the file with the Reader on machine C and couldn't edit any form fields.

Is this correct? Have you tried reversing the sequence (open it on machine C and then machine B)? That might isolate any differences in their versions of the reader.

Former Community Member
Thanks for your reply. I am confused however because I am not copying the file. I am opening the same file from machine to machine to machine on one memory stick. When I bring the same file back to first two machines, usage rights are still there, the file works properly.

Former Community Member
Dave,

I think you are on to something! I reversed the order and the form seems to be working fine. Any ideas on what might cause this so I don't repeat it?

FYI: Machine 1: Adobe Pro 8

Machine 2: Reader 8.1.0

Machine 3: Reader 8.1.1

Thank You Thank You Thank You!!

Level 7
Do all the machines have the exactly the same fonts?

Former Community Member
Geo,

Not sure, but it did not say anything about any font substitutions.

Former Community Member
Does the datestamp on the file change after you open it on Machine 2?

Former Community Member
Dave,

Checked in the Windows Explorer window and in the form properties. In both places the date and time created & modified does not change.

Former Community Member
That's baffling then. Somehow the first machine is writing to the file though, because that's the only way it could have any effect on the second machine.

Try making the file read-only and see if you get an error on the first machine. That would show that it's trying to write to the file.

This really sounds like an Acrobat bug though, and not "normal" behavior.

Former Community Member
I noticed another thread that might relate to your problem:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b72b3f/0

It's possible that the two Reader clients are configured differently and causing different results. Still doesn't make any sense to me that problems on one machine would mess it up for the next machine.