Expand my Community achievements bar.

Expandable fields

Former Community Member
I swear to you I have searched for the answer I need and I just can't find it. I am creating a form that will be sent to my via PDF, and has several text fields that need to expand. I've been running into the problem where when it expands, it overlaps everything else. I found the 7_Questions_Flowing sample, and am trying to mimic it. I've made a subform, put everything in it, and am trying to get the same set up but some of the fields I need are greyed out (Like "Allow Page breaks within content") I would be happy just with the multiple lines, but I need to be able to view them when they print. Any suggestions?
8 Replies

Former Community Member
They have to be in a flowable subform to allow them to push other subforms lower. There is a good example in the install directory of Designer under EN/Samples/Forms/Purchase Order/Dynamic Interactive/Forms

Former Community Member
I did put them in a subform, under "Content" put "Flowed" and under "Flow Direction" put Western Text. (If I had put it under Top to Bottom it makes a giant column). I have the height on "Auto Fit", and the text fields are set to multiple lines and height is set to "expand".

Level 10

Hi,

The 7_Flowed_Questions form is fairly rough and was intended to work through a forum post a few years back. The official sample is tried and tested.

Where you want objects to flow in both directions you can put the objects in a western text flowed subform first and then wrap this in a vertical flowed subform.

I am uploading a sample.

I started by setting by inserting a subform and kept this positioned. I put in some static text.

I then inserted another subform (coloured grey). I left this positioned for the time being. I find it easier to get the elements into the subforms first and then set the flowing options.

Lastly I inserted the last subform (yellow) inside the grey subform. I then inserted four textfields into the yellow subform. You should be able to follow this in the hierarchy.

I set up the textfield as you have done (mulitple lines; expand to fit...)

When everything was set up:

• Set the root subform (page 1) to flowed top to bottom;
  • Set the grey subform flowed top to bottom;
  • Set the yellow subform flowed western text.

hmmm, clear as mud!!!

I hope this helps,

Niall

Former Community Member
Ok the last thing is to make sure that you are saving the form as a dynamic PDF. If you are using the preview there are settings in th eForm Properties preview tab. If you are saving this as a PDF out of Designer there is a drop down for type in the save as dialog.

If that does not do it then post you form to livecycle8@gmail.com and I will have a look.

Level 4

I am working on a similar form and have change all the subforms to flowed etc but when I view my document nothing is visible.  All my subforms have been hidden.  Can you please help.

Jen

Level 1

Hi,

I have been trying out adobe live cycle designer and iText from couple of days. I have lot of text fields between static text, the values of which can vary in size. How do i make it to auto expand/shrink based on run time value passed from iText?