Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

ES SP2 Upgrade Breaks XML in Submitted Forms

Level 3
Hi

I've just installed the SP2 upgrade for LC ES - after 5 tries over 2 days...

Now it all *seems* to be working OK - checked version numbers etc - and I can access my processes and forms via Workspace.

However when I try to Submit any Form the server throws a - "com.adobe.idp.taskmanager.dsc.client.task.ActivePrincipalNotFoundException: Assignment to XPath was specified with the following expression: /process_data/formVariable/object/data/xdp/datasets/data/form1/workflowDetails/nextRecipient, but this expression did not evaluate to anything.

Looking further into this the Form's XML data is there when the form is initially rendered (the PrePopRender 'User Details' are showing correctly), but after the Form is submitted the XML data is not there - hence why my XPath Next User Selection fails.

I've tried setting the Next User Selection to a fixed User ID, but then the WorkFlowState variable setting fails in the Workflow - so the Form XML is definitely totally stuffed :-(

I've tried re-importing the formTemplate and re-setting the Form Data Schema etc - but nothing works.

Has anyone else had a similar issue with ES SP2 and if so got any suggestions for a fix ?

Thanks - Stuart
17 Replies

Level 4
Stuart:

Can you contact Adobe Enterprise Support and through them get us the data XML and the LCA? Thanks.

Former Community Member
Any updates on this issue? Is it safe to install SP2?

We are planning to install this SP because its readme says it has fixed a couple of known problems, but are especially concerned about the "5 tries over 2 days", is it problematic to install this?

thanks

Level 3
Hi James

I'm sure others will find it a simple install but I found that the instructions were vague in places - the bit about Turnkey & Non-Turnkey in particular.

I'm installing on a VM and I found that I needed at least 3Gb of free HDD and 3Gb of RAM to get the upgrade to install - again on a 'metal' install this would probably not be a probelm.

Look for "Memory must be increased in LiveCycle Configuration Manager start-up file before beginning upgrade on Windows" in the 8.0.1.2 Release Notes and do this before you try to upgrade on Win platform. I missed this the 1st two tries :-(

My main problem is that SP2 bresks the xfaForm XML data binding - so I would suggest you try it on an off-line backed up ES system before you try it on a 'live' one ...

Best Regards - Stuart

Former Community Member
thanks for sharing the experiences... we are also using VM, so it's very helpful to know.

thanks

James

Former Community Member
The release notes page seems to be broken?

http://www.help.adobe.com/en_US/livecycle/es/releasenotes.html

or I got the wrong URL?

where can I find 8.0.1.2 release notes?

thanks

Former Community Member
Thanks for info. But I have the Readme file, it's included in the download. There's a link in the Readme however, under the "Known Issues" section of the PDF file, that "release notes" link doesn't seem to work...

Level 3
Hi James

You need the release notes not the ReadMe - it's here -

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/livecycle/es/releasenotes.html

Note sans 'www' ...

The Windows Memory issue, and quite a lot of other 'tips', are not in the ReadMe

Stuart

Former Community Member
One more question:

are there any known issues for a SP2 WorkBench to access stuff in a pre-SP2 LC-ES server?

thanks

Level 3
Hi James

Sorry not tried that - but there is a bunch of 'backward compatability' notes in the release notes you might look through.

Stuart

Former Community Member
SP2 also breaks the "toast" messages in Workspace. Issue has been logged and acknowledged by Adobe Support.

Level 3
Hi Sam

Nope 'Toasts' are still fine in my SP2 upgrade so this one must be specific to a particular configuration.

However I've FINALLY tracked the 'Breaks XML' issue and now know why and how to fix it - see following post.

Stuart

Level 3
In the course of building a simplified process to send to otsupport I have discovered why SP2 breaks our process xml data mapping in our processes.

Most of our processes use 2 form variables (one to start the process then one, or more, dependent on the initial forms content) that run through the rest of the process - e.g. we use different templates in the process for different originator/request types etc, but capture the initial data from a number of single templates to simplify the 'user experience' and reduce number of front end form versions.

In this type of workflow the SP2 xml error issue is caused by the following -

In 8.0.1 (our current version) to copy the initial form variable data to the process form variable we have to copy across the 'form1' variable values to the 'data' node using the following -

/process_data/formVariable/object/data/xdp/datasets/data = /process_data/formVariable/object/data/xdp/datasets/data/form1

Although this is strictly wrong - if you assigned the ...data/form1 = ...data/form1 mapping then you got a 2nd form1 element nested in the 1st one in the 2nd form template xml data - so this did not work.

In SP2 you now have to correctly assign the form variables data as follows -

/process_data/formVariable/object/data/xdp/datasets/data/form1 = /process_data/formVariable/object/data/xdp/datasets/data/form1

So I guess you can say that SP2 has fixed a deficiency in 8.0.1 - but having wasted 4 solid days tracking this down I think it would be nice to have noted this 'change' somewhere in the SP2 installation notes :-(

If it is included in any of the SP2 documentation then please let me know so I can pass it on.

Former Community Member
Another point, We are using java client SDK to connect to a livecycle server, these broke when server was upgraded to sp1b. Here I am looking for the client jars.

Former Community Member
The XML assignment issue was actually fixed in SP1b and is in the release notes for that service pack.

Found here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/products/enterprise/pdf/LCES_SP1b_Readme.pdf

Page 2:

"Copying a single node in XML or form data from one variable to another appends the source node as a child to the target node, whereby we expect (in 8.0 and 7.X) that only the children of the source node will replace all of the children of the target node."

Level 3
HI Rob

How are you doing - long time no speak ?

Unfortunatly we were not aware of the SP1b so went straight to SP2, which apparently includes SP1b but unfortunatly this snipet of useful information was not included in the SP2 ReadMe.

Whilst Adobe say that you can install SP2 without SP1b I'm not so sure. I have in the last 4 days seen the SP2 upgrade cause some really wierd behaviour such as completely killing the ES eMail service, and causing DropLists not to be populated when the forms are rendered - but ONLY DropLists, every other field type renders fine.

Even uninstalling the SP2 patch did not cure these problems so I had to revert our clients system to a pre-SP2 backup.

OTOH I've installed SP2 on a number of our development VMs and whilst a bit fiddly, once I figured out the right sequence, these installed OK.

I did a Manual File Copy deployment of SP2 on-site today, as not willing to risk the same failure as last week, and this worked for the AWS_ACTION fix in SP2 - but did not cure the @@instructions@@ bug in the Subject Line of eMails - which was apparently fixed in SP1b - so again I'm not sure going straigth to SP2 from SP0 is 100% reliable. Despite all the modules reporting their Versions as 8.0.1 SP2.

Hope you are well - best regards - Stuart