I have upgraded two ES systems to SP2 recently and in both cases once SP2 is installed the Task Notification eMails fail to send.
On the 1st system, a development VM, the failure was silent, but no notification eMails are being sent. I believed that the problem was with our test environment James Mail server as ES did not log any problems.
However today I tried to install SP2 on one of our clients systems and thier eMail notifications also then stopped but on thier system ES threw the following JBoss Server Log error -
2008-04-03 15:16:03,285 ERROR [org.jboss.ejb.plugins.LogInterceptor] RuntimeException in method: public abstract java.lang.Object com.adobe.idp.dsc.transaction.impl.ejb.adapter.EjbTransactionCMTAdapterLocal.doSupports(com.adobe.idp.dsc.transaction.TransactionDefinition,com.adobe.idp.dsc.transaction.TransactionCallback) throws com.adobe.idp.dsc.DSCException:
ALC-DSC-020-000: com.adobe.idp.dsc.InvalidStateException: Service: EmailService is not in a RUNNING state
I tried JBoss Stop / Start a number of times but the same error ocures. I had to revert to the pre-SP2 JBoss install and the eMails then work correctly.
In both cases the update was form a base 8.0.1 install to SP2 without installing SP1b.
Has anyone else had a problem with Notification eMails after installing SP2 ?
I see that from the error stack that the Email service is not running. "EmailService is not in a RUNNING".
Go to Windows -> Show Views -> Components
In Components find com.adobe.livecycle.Email and see if it is active. If it is not active then try to activate it. If on activation it gives you an error then try to re-run the Configuration Manager and make sure that the Global document storage and the temp have the right path. Note that you need to run through the LCM wizard till the end and make sure that you selected all option to assemble, to init the database and to deploy the Components.
Also, check if com.adobe.idp.dsc.provider.service.email.Email service is active too.
A) Your symptons are exactly the same as mine - eg. process generated eMails worked but system generated ones (notifications) did not.
B) When I came across this issue it was on a customer 'Live' system so I did not have time to try to fix it on site and had to regress them back to base 8.0.1 (QUICKLY ;o). Eventually we did the SP2 upgrade for them by copying in the deployment from a sucessfully upgraded system. So I never did find a way to fix it.
C) However I have since upgraded 4 other ES installations to SP2 and have not yet seen this eMail issue again.