Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

ES SP2 Breaks eMail Notifications

Level 3
I have upgraded two ES systems to SP2 recently and in both cases once SP2 is installed the Task Notification eMails fail to send.

On the 1st system, a development VM, the failure was silent, but no notification eMails are being sent. I believed that the problem was with our test environment James Mail server as ES did not log any problems.

However today I tried to install SP2 on one of our clients systems and thier eMail notifications also then stopped but on thier system ES threw the following JBoss Server Log error -

2008-04-03 15:16:03,285 ERROR [org.jboss.ejb.plugins.LogInterceptor] RuntimeException in method: public abstract java.lang.Object com.adobe.idp.dsc.transaction.impl.ejb.adapter.EjbTransactionCMTAdapterLocal.doSupports(com.adobe.idp.dsc.transaction.TransactionDefinition,com.adobe.idp.dsc.transaction.TransactionCallback) throws com.adobe.idp.dsc.DSCException:

ALC-DSC-020-000: com.adobe.idp.dsc.InvalidStateException: Service: EmailService is not in a RUNNING state

at com.adobe.idp.dsc.interceptor.impl.InvalidStateInterceptor.intercept(InvalidStateInterceptor.java:35)

at com.adobe.idp.dsc.interceptor.impl.RequestInterceptorChainImpl.proceed(RequestInterceptorChainImpl.java:44)

at com.adobe.idp.dsc.interceptor.impl.AuthorizationInterceptor.intercept(AuthorizationInterceptor.java:88)

at com.adobe.idp.dsc.interceptor.impl.RequestInterceptorChainImpl.proceed(RequestInterceptorChainImpl.java:44)

at com.adobe.idp.dsc.engine.impl.ServiceEngineImpl.invoke(ServiceEngineImpl.java:113)

at com.adobe.idp.dsc.routing.Router.routeRequest(Router.java:102)

I tried JBoss Stop / Start a number of times but the same error ocures. I had to revert to the pre-SP2 JBoss install and the eMails then work correctly.

In both cases the update was form a base 8.0.1 install to SP2 without installing SP1b.

Has anyone else had a problem with Notification eMails after installing SP2 ?

Stuart
9 Replies

Level 4
We are unable to reproduce this problem.

Level 3
Hi Jayan

Nope I can't reproduce it on any other LC ES system either.

However on that one system the only way I got SP2 to install was by doing a file copy from another successfully deployed SP2 upgraded system.

I guess we put this one down to J2EE gremlins ;-)

Stuart

Former Community Member
My email notifications also stopped after applying SP2. I still

haven't been able to figure out the problem.

Former Community Member
I see that from the error stack that the Email service is not running. "EmailService is not in a RUNNING".

Go to Windows -> Show Views -> Components

In Components find com.adobe.livecycle.Email and see if it is active. If it is not active then try to activate it. If on activation it gives you an error then try to re-run the Configuration Manager and make sure that the Global document storage and the temp have the right path. Note that you need to run through the LCM wizard till the end and make sure that you selected all option to assemble, to init the database and to deploy the Components.

Also, check if com.adobe.idp.dsc.provider.service.email.Email service is active too.

Level 3
Hi Pierre

Sorry to be thicker than a very thick thing but "Go to Windows -> Show Views -> Components" in what application please?

Thanks - Stuart

Former Community Member
The info is available from Workbench ES.

I checked and all services under both components mentioned

above are active. I guess I could try deactivating and

then activating them again to see what happens.

Former Community Member
I still haven't been able to figure this one out. I can send emails

from within my process using the Send With Document service.

However, the automatically generated emails for new task notifiaction

don't get sent anymore. I've unconfigured the email settings

(under Process Management - Server Settings - Email Settings) and

reconfigured. Still no luck. This used to work before applying

SP2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Level 3
Hi John

A) Your symptons are exactly the same as mine - eg. process generated eMails worked but system generated ones (notifications) did not.

B) When I came across this issue it was on a customer 'Live' system so I did not have time to try to fix it on site and had to regress them back to base 8.0.1 (QUICKLY ;o). Eventually we did the SP2 upgrade for them by copying in the deployment from a sucessfully upgraded system. So I never did find a way to fix it.

C) However I have since upgraded 4 other ES installations to SP2 and have not yet seen this eMail issue again.

Not much help but just FYI.

Best Regards - Stuart

Former Community Member
Yes.

I've upgraded 2 systems. One no longer sends any emails regarding

new tasks or reminders, the other one still works fine. I've tried

reconfiguring, removing the email config, then readding it, even

configuring invalid username/password and then ip address to see if

I could at least get some kind of exception thrown. Nothing.