Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Error trying to get LiveCycle ES up and running with JBoss/SQL Server

Former Community Member
I am having an error trying to get LiveCycle ES Trial up and running with JBOSS and SQL Server. The LiveCycle ES and JBOSS engines are running on Windows Server 2003 SP #2 under VMWare Server with 2 vCPUs/1 GB vRAM. The SQL Server database is SQL 2005 x86-64 with SP #2 on a separate server.<br /><br />I have carefully followed all of the instructions for setting up jboss, modifying all of the appropriate XML files, downloading the SQL JDBC drivers and putting it in the %JBOSS_HOME%\server\all\lib directory, etc. I tried both the SQL JDBC 1.1 and 1.2 drivers and they both fail.<br /><br />The error I get is on startup of jboss using<br />cmd /c start /low run.bat -c all<br />(and yes I also just tried run.bat -c all)<br /><br />it runs along file until it gets here<br />2008-06-18 16:00:03,123 INFO [org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.ConnectionFactoryBindingService] Bound ConnectionManager 'jboss.jca:service=DataSourceBinding,name=IDP_DS' to JNDI name 'java:IDP_DS'<br />2008-06-18 16:00:03,123 INFO [org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.ConnectionFactoryBindingService] Bound ConnectionManager 'jboss.jca:service=DataSourceBinding,name=EDC_DS' to JNDI name 'java:EDC_DS'<br />2008-06-18 16:00:03,373 INFO [org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.ConnectionFactoryBindingService] Bound ConnectionManager 'jboss.jca:service=ConnectionFactoryBinding,name=JmsXA' to JNDI name 'java:JmsXA'<br />2008-06-18 16:00:03,373 INFO [org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.ConnectionFactoryBindingService] Bound ConnectionManager 'jboss.jca:service=ConnectionFactoryBinding,name=adobe_JmsQueueXA' to JNDI name 'java:adobe_JmsQueueXA'<br />2008-06-18 16:00:03,389 INFO [org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.ConnectionFactoryBindingService] Bound ConnectionManager 'jboss.jca:service=ConnectionFactoryBinding,name=adobe_JmsTopicXA' to JNDI name 'java:adobe_JmsTopicXA'<br />2008-06-18 16:00:03,482 INFO [org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.ConnectionFactoryBindingService] Bound ConnectionManager 'jboss.jca:service=DataSourceBinding,name=DefaultDS' to JNDI name 'java:DefaultDS'<br />2008-06-18 16:00:03,514 WARN [org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.JBossManagedConnectionPool] Throwable while attempting to get a new connection: null<br />org.jboss.resource.JBossResourceException: Could not create connection; - nested throwable: (org.jboss.resource.JBossResourceException: Failed to register driver for: com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver; - nested throwable: (java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: No ClassLoaders found for: com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver))<br /> at org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc.local.LocalManagedConnectionFactory.createManagedConnection(LocalManagedConnectionFactory.java:164)<br />[ lots more error scrolls ]<br /><br />this repeats multiple times<br /><br />I can see that it does acknowledge that I put the sqljdbc.jar file in the appropriate directory from the boot.log<br /><br /><snip><br />15:59:44,856 DEBUG [SARDeployer] deployed classes for file:/C:/jboss/server/all/lib/sqljdbc.jar<br /><snip><br /><br />please help!
9 Replies

Former Community Member
Hi,

According to release notes, Windows Server 2003 SP2 is not supported. Only 2003 SP1 and 2003 R2 are supported. For database, SQL Server 2005 SP1 is supported, but not SP2. Are you using Sun JDK 1.5.0_11 or later version of 1.5? Are you using jboss 4.0.3 SP1? Those are the supported versions.

Level 4
We have it working on Windows 2003 SP2.

1 GB of vRAM is simply not enough. JBoss itself needs about 512 MB to 768 MB.

Copy-pasting the contents of your mssql-ds.xml here might help.

Former Community Member
contents of mssql-ds.xml<br /><br /><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><br /><br /><!-- ===================================================================== --><br /><!-- --><br /><!-- JBoss Server Configuration --><br /><!-- --><br /><!-- ===================================================================== --><br /><br /><!-- $Id: mssql-ds.xml,v 1.3 2004/09/15 14:37:40 loubyansky Exp $ --><br /><br /> <!-- ======================================================================--><br /> <!-- New ConnectionManager setup for Microsoft SQL Server 2000 driver --><br /> <!-- You may download the latest Microsoft JDBC driver from *Microsoft* --><br /> <!-- http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/downloads/sample.asp?url=/MSDN-FILES/027/001/77... --><br /> <!-- ===================================================================== --><br /><br /><datasources><br /> <local-tx-datasource><br /> <jndi-name>DefaultDS</jndi-name><br /> <connection-url>jdbc:microsoft:sqlserver://POLARIS:1433;DatabaseName=AdobeLiveCycleES</connection-url><br /> <driver-class>com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver</driver-class><br /> <user-name>AdobeLiveCycleESUser</user-name><br /> <password>xxxxx</password><br /> <!-- sql to call when connection is created<br /> <new-connection-sql>some arbitrary sql</new-connection-sql><br /> --><br /><br /> <!-- sql to call on an existing pooled connection when it is obtained from pool <br /> <check-valid-connection-sql>some arbitrary sql</check-valid-connection-sql><br /> --><br /><br /> <!-- corresponding type-mapping in the standardjbosscmp-jdbc.xml (optional) --><br /> <metadata><br /> <type-mapping>MS SQLSERVER2000</type-mapping><br /> </metadata><br /> </local-tx-datasource><br /><br /></datasources>

Former Community Member
It looks like the OS is only currently using 512 MB of vRAM...would RAM cause this kind of error? I can increase it to 1.5 GB vRAM

sun JDK version

C:\jboss\bin>java -version

java version "1.5.0_14"

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_14-b03)

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_14-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

I can't imagine that the SQL Server 2005 SP #2 would be causing this problem, it can't even reach the database server, and typically higher service packs don't cause issues like this. I'm convinced it's something with my configuration of the XML or other files.

What other files could I upload to help diagnose this issue? I'm trying to get this product online to evaluate if it will work for my client.

Former Community Member
I'm using the version of jboss that came on the LiveCycle 8.0 download. It reports as version

08:50:16,991 INFO [Server] Starting JBoss (MX MicroKernel)...

08:50:16,991 INFO [Server] Release ID: JBoss [Zion] 4.0.3SP1 (build: CVSTag=JBo

ss_4_0_3_SP1 date=200510231054)

Former Community Member
I tried to install LiveCycle ES with only 1gb of RAM and it won't work, as Jayan indicated.

Former Community Member
I increased my VM guest OS to 2 GB and no difference

It is still throwing an error at the same location

It seems to be related to the SQL Server jdbc drivers,

specifically this no ClassLoaders found message

it keeps repeating that a billion times for each connection attempt

09:55:17,776 INFO [Server] Core system initialized

09:55:21,635 INFO [WebService] Using RMI server codebase: http://iceman:8083/

09:55:21,682 INFO [Log4jService$URLWatchTimerTask] Configuring from URL: resour

ce:log4j.xml

09:55:40,713 WARN [JBossManagedConnectionPool] Throwable while attempting to ge

t a new connection: null

org.jboss.resource.JBossResourceException: Could not create connection; - nested

throwable: (org.jboss.resource.JBossResourceException: Failed to register drive

r for: com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver; - nested throwable: (java.l

ang.ClassNotFoundException: No ClassLoaders found for: com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlser

ver.SQLServerDriver))

Former Community Member
APJ<br />We ran into many issues setting up a very similar environment. In the end we had to use a specially configured JBoss, supplied by Adobe, to make a connection with the SQL database. Since you have SQL w/ SP2 on it, you will need the 1.2 driver for sure, but you may want to talk to Adobe support about obtaining the version of JBoss they supplied us with. The Adobe Support Reference Number is: 1-52422366.<br /><br />Even with the alternate JBoss we had to perform the following steps to get the configuration right:<br /><br />1. Install Livecycle from the installation DVD. Follow the instructions for installing LiveCycle supplied by Adobe, including all pre-installation instructions. Make sure NT service is installed with parameters, and dont run Configuration Manager.<br />2. Rename %LIVECYCLE_INSTALL%\jboss to %LIVECYCLE_INSTALL%\jboss_orig<br />3. Extract the zipped new, good instance of JBoss (supplied by Adobe) to the %LIVECYCLE_INSTALL%\ folder <br />4. Go to the %LiveCycle_Home%\deploy folder and make a copy of the file adobeimport_SQLServer.jar file. Rename the copy of the file to aadobeimport_SQLServer.jar. There seems to be a bug in configuration manager that looks for a file with the extra a appended to the beginning of the file name, where that file normally isnt there. Make sure that the adobeimport_SQLServer.jar file is still in this folder as well.<br />5. Edit the data source file (%JBOSS_HOME%\server\all\deploy\ adobe-ds.xml) to point to the correct database for the LiveCycle Server.<br />a. Update the <connection-url>, <user-name>, and <password> tags with the correct database connection information.<br />b. If BAM is to be used on the server (this should be done on the Production server) then delete both lines that state Remove this line, if BAM is used.<br />6. Go to the login configuration file (%JBOSS_HOME%\server\all\conf\login-config.xml), and edit the section labeled <application-policy name = "MSSQLDbRealm">.<br />a. Change the Principal, UserName, and Password options to point to the correct database. These will be the same as what was changed in the adobe-ds.xml file from the step above.<br /><br />7. Edit the system variables on the server. Add to the Path variable %JBOSS_HOME%\bin, and add the variable JBOSS_HOME with the path to the JBoss folder on the server. (D:\Adobe\LiveCycle8\jboss for example)<br />8. From windows services start the JBoss for Adobe LiveCycle ES v8.0 service. Review the JBoss server log (%JBOSS_HOME%\server\all\log\server.log) to verify that JBoss starts without throwing any exception errors (A document timeout exception is the only acceptable exception for starting the service). <br />9. Run the LiveCycle Configuration Manager (%LiveCycle_Home%\ConfigurationManager\bin\ConfigurationManager.bat). <br />a. Select to Not Upgrade fromLiveCycle 7.x.<br />b. Check all boxes on the Solution Component Selection screen.<br />c. For the Task Selection screen check all the boxes except for the Import LiveCycle ES Samples into LiveCycle ES if on the production server. <br />d. Run through the rest of the configuration manager interface to setup the LiveCycle server with the new application server. Follow the steps supplied by Adobe for this.<br />10. Once configuration manager has completed, reboot the server, and verify that JBoss starts up again without any exceptions or errors (again a document timeout exception is an acceptable exception. Look at the server log to verify this (%JBOSS_HOME%\server\all\log\server.log)).