Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Emailed PDF is Blank

Former Community Member
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me with a really weird problem.

I have a form I created that hides and shows a lot of different fields it also has some add and remove buttons. This all works great until the user hits the send email.

When the email is sent the PDF file that has been sent is comming in blank as if the user has done nothing? The Print button works fine. The on screen display works fine.

I am using the send as PDF and a mailto:email@address.com

Any Suggestions?

Thanks, Leo
18 Replies

Former Community Member
Is your PDF a Form allowing for entering data. If so, in order to send the PDF via email, it must be reader extended in order to preserve the data. By default, PDF Forms are not extended.

You basically have two options.

1. You can reader extend the PDF using Acrobat Professional, however this is a limited license for only 500 users.

2. If you plan on exceeding that number, you must purchase ReaderExtension ES from Adobe.

Former Community Member
Allen,

I have already used Adobe Acrobat 8.01 to Enable User Rights if that is what you are referring to.

We only have a max of 50 clients that this form will be going to.

Thanks, Leo

Former Community Member
Did you save your form as a dynamic PDF (in the save as dialog)?

Former Community Member
Paul,

Yes it is a Dynamic XML Form. Is there a difference in Dynamic PDF and Dynamic XML?

This form was created using LiveCycle Designer 8.1.1.2188.406459

Then user Rights Enabled in Acrobat 8.1.2

Thanks, Leo

Here are the restrictions incase this helps.

.-Document Restrictions Summary

Printing: Allowed

Changing the Document: Not Allowed

Document Assembly: Not Allowed

Content Copy ng: Allowed

Content Copying for Accessibility: Allowed

Page Extraction: Not Allowed

Commenting: Not Allowed

Filling of form fields: Allowed

Signing: Allowed

Creation of Template Pages: Not Allowed

* This PDF form restricts some operations.

Former Community Member
No difference other than one is PDF and one is a template that will get turned into a PDF.

Former Community Member
Paul,

I thought it might be because I was using the hidden presence in my JavaScript, but that was not it.

Any other suggestions?

Where do I go from here? Could it be a JavaScript issue? It prints fine. It is just when emailing the PDF.

It is like it is starting the form from scratch?

Thanks, Leo

Former Community Member
Allen or Paul,

I did some more research. The file saves with all the fields filled in as it was supposed to. But if I go to File - Attach to Email.. it does the same thing. It shows a blank form as if nothing has been filled in? It seems to be only fields that have been set to "invisible" at one point.

Could this be a Event Issue in JavaScript?

On Form Ready I am Setting most of the fields to "invisible"

I set them to "visible" as needed.

Example:

Form1.Body::ready:form - (JavaScript, client)

Body.Project_Information.ClosestJobSiteTown_Label.presence = "invisible"

Body.Project_Information.State.presence = "invisible";

Body.Project_Information.State_Label.presence = "invisible";

Body.Project_Information.JobTown.presence = "invisible";

Thanks, Leo

Former Community Member
Post your form to livecycle8@gmail.com and I will give it a try.

Former Community Member
Paul,

I sent it again. Please let me know when you get it.

Leo

Former Community Member
Paul,

I am getting pretty sure it is an event problem.

What javaScript Event fires when the form is opened the first time but not fired after the form has been filled in?

Can I set a variable after the form has been filled in once and carry it with the form so it doesnt call the hide code?

Thanks, Leo

Former Community Member
Paul,

I got it.

Thanks for all your help.

It was an event issue. I just checked to see if a field had data filled in and that solved my problem.

Thanks Again, Leo

Former Community Member

HI

Can you plese explain what exactly you did to resolve the problem. Even I am facing the same problem, I am using javascript in document as well as in the combo box run custom script option.

Everything works fine but when I send the email the all the drop down boxes becomes blank everything else typed manually remains on the form.

Please help.

Level 10

Hi,

Leo might not be around after eight years, so I might chip in.  The first things I would look at is the binding of your drop down fields, make sure they are correct, and check any script that might run during initialization.

Do you have the same problem is you save the form and then re-open it?

If you are still having trouble can you add a link to your form in this thread and we can have a closer look.

Regards

Bruce

Former Community Member

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for coming to my rescue. I will tell you what I am trying to do. I am trying make a fillable personal information form in adobe acrobat which has name, address, contact number text field which is manually entered by typing and I have combox box dropdown list for country and state.

To add the Countries in the country combox box I added following script in "document javascript"

this.getField("country").setItems([" ","India","USA","Mexico"]);

I have added 1 blank dropdown because when I click on Reset button the country combo box doesnt get clear and resets to default value so if I keep one blank value as default and click on Reset button the combo box picks blank value which is blank and looks as if the combox box got cleared on pressing reset button.

And in the same country combobox in validate tab in "Run custom validation script" I have added following script to populate states details in state combox box drop down list.

if(event.value == " ")

this.getField("State").clearItems();

else

switch (event.value) { 

case "India": 

this.getField("State").setItems(["Maharashtra","Gujarat","Rajasthan"]); 

break; 

case "USA":  

this.getField("State").setItems(["Texas","Washington","Calfiornia"]); 

break;    

case "Mexico": 

this.getField("State").setItems(["Sonara","Sinalao","Durango"]); 

break;    

} 

So now what happens in the above if have given a validation that if the country is blank clear state combox box.

So after my reaserch and googling I have realized is when I open the form my document script runs and adds the countries and my validation script based on the countries populates states in state combox box.

After filling up the form when I click on "Email" button not the reset button to email it to someone the document script doesnt run so the country combox becomes blank and based on it my validation script clears items in state combo box also.

So conclusion is my both the drop down list goes blank when I email it to someone.

I have found a work around for it.

What I have done is when I opened the form and after countries were added in country combo box I removed the script from document script since countries doesnt need updation every time I open the document it is a one time process and saved the document. This way my countries were added and I dont need to run the script each time I open the document.

After filling up the document when I click on "Email Button" the selected value remains and doesnt become blank and based on the selected value in country the value in state combox box remains as it is.

Can you help me in finding out a way where in I dont have to add a blank value in countries and when I click on reset button all the combox boxes get clear and when I click on email button all the values selected in combo boxes remain intact and doesnt go blank.

Level 10

Hi,

I think you will be better off moving your code to the preOpen event of the drop down control.  This way nothing will happen until the click the down arrow of the control.  You just need to reverse your logic a little for the state drop down.

Regards

Bruce