Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Email service

Level 2
Hi,

I am trying to use the "EmailService (Send with Document)" found in "Foundation". The SMTP host that I use does not require any authentication. But the email service is throwing "com.adobe.idp.dsc.email.ConnectionFailedException" if I dont provide a SMTP user and password. If I write my own custom java code to send email through the same SMTP host, it works without the authentication. By this way I was able to prove that authentication is indeed not needed by this SMTP host. Could somebody tell me if I am missing something that makes this service look for authentication information always? The "SMTP authentication" check box is un checked in service properties.

Thanks.

Regards,

Badri.
11 Replies

Level 9
Sometimes the SMTP server is configured to allow emails to be sent without authentication from certain ip addresses, and with authentication from all others. This prevents spammers from hijacking your SMTP server. Are you running your test program from the same machine where Livecycle is running?

Howard

http://www.avoka.com

Level 2
Hi Howard,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I ran the test program from the same machine as LiveCycle is running. However, I will look closely at the IP Addresses once again. Meanwhile, let me know if you think there could be some thing else that could be causing this problem.

- Badri.

Level 9
Another thought: there are two places where you can configure connection properties - either at the service level, or at the individual action level. Are you perhaps using the wrong ones?

Apart from that, I'm out of ideas?

Sorry...

Former Community Member
Badri,

Did you solve this issue? I'm having the same problem with client's server that does not needs authentication. Is the first time I get this error but I've always used the component with authentication.

Thanks in advance for your response!

Level 2
Hi Roland,

It looks ilke the component cannot work without SMTP authentication. I have contacted the Adobe Enterprise support regarding this. Waiting to hear back from them. Will let you know once I hear back from them.

- Badri.

Former Community Member
Hi,

I'm trying to use "Send with Document" to send an email message to a logged in user. All user data will be ingested with an LDAP sync. How can I get "Send with Document" to locate the logged in user's email address?

Don't know much about XPath or JDBC/SQL so I was wondering if there was a way to use User Lookup>Find User or LDAP Query to locate the email address.

Thanks,

Pat

Former Community Member
Bradri,

I found a workaround. You're right, it seems to be a bug in LiveCycle.

A colleague suggested to pass a bogus username and password. I fonud out that by checking the box that says "SMTP Authenticate" does the trick on my end. You don't have to put anything under username or password as those will be ignored by your mail server.

Hope this helps! Let me know if this works for you.

-Rolando

Level 9
Hi Patrick

There is no concept of a "Logged in user" when a process runs, because a process isn't owned by one user.

You can find out the email address of the last person to complete a particular step.

The easiest way to do this is with our LookupUser component:

More information here:

http://avoka.dnsalias.com/confluence/display/Public/Find+Out+Details+About+the+Last+Form+User

Download here:

http://www.avoka.com/apps/checkcookie?qpac=y&qpac_code=avokaESComponents&location=%2Fapps%2Fqpacdown...

Howard

http://www.avoka.com

Level 2
Hi Roland,

This does not work for me. I am still confused how a simple java program trying to connect to the same SMTP host works without authentication, while LiveCycle needs one. It does not work if I pass dummy user id password. I am trying to figure out what exactly is it authenticating upon, probably it is trying to connect to the company network before reaching out to the email server, or anyting like that.

Moreover, we are still using the pre-release (evaluation copy) for LiveCycle 8.2, we are yet to get a valid license key from Adobe. We are expecting it any time. Probably this evaluation copy is causing all the problem!

Thanks a lot for trying..

- Badri.

Level 7

All,

I had the same issue and the "SMTP Aunthicate" checkbox was also checked. However, when I removed the username/password, saved, retried the stalled process it gave me the same error.

It worked when I re entered the same username/password.

Just thought I'd share my experience for all those have the same issue and it doesn't get resolved with the previous suggested workaround.

Aditya