Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dynamic Dropdown Field is blank

Former Community Member
I am using LiveCycle Designer 8.05<br /><br />And I am trying to create a dropdown form populated dynamically I guess from an .xml file.(Unless there is a better method)<br /><br />Basically I need to be able to have people update the contents of dropdown field but they wont have access to do it directly in designer<br />So I want them just to be able to update the .xml data.<br /><br />So I had this for the .xml<br /><br />___CODE___<br /><br /><?xml version = "1.0" encoding = "UTF-8"?><br /><br /><vehicles<br /> xmlns:xsi = "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"<br /> xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation = "rank.xsd"<br /> ><br /> <nickname>E1</nickname><br /> <nickname>E2</nickname><br /> <nickname>E3</nickname><br /></vehicles><br /><br />___END_CODE___<br /><br />This is the .xsd schema<br /><br />___CODE___<br /><br /><?xml version = "1.0" encoding = "UTF-8"?><br /><br /><xsd:schema<br /> xmlns:xsd = "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"<br /> ><br /> <xsd:element name = "vehicles"><br /> <xsd:complexType><br /> <xsd:sequence><br /> <xsd:element name = "nickname" <br /> type = "xsd:string"<br /> maxOccurs = "unbounded"/><br /> </xsd:sequence><br /> </xsd:complexType><br /> </xsd:element><br /></xsd:schema><br /><br />___END_CODE___<br /><br />I have Show Dynamic Properties On<br /><br />I add a dropdown box<br />I go to the binding tab<br />Click Default Binding<br />Select XML Schema<br />Select the.xsd file from above<br />Click Embed<br />Click Finish<br /><br />Click specify item values<br />In the dynamic properties it says<br />Binding:<br />Items $record.nickname[*]<br />Item Text the only option is a dollar sign<br />Item Value the only option is adollar sign<br /><br />I click OK<br /><br />Save it as a dynamic xml form <br />Open it and the dropdown is blank.<br /><br />I feel like I have tried a thousand different variations but nothing works<br />I either end up with a blank dropdown or the dropdown gets converted to a text field and it is blank.<br /><br />Could anyone shed some light on my problem?<br />Thanks
2 Replies

Former Community Member

Hi guys,

I don't think, that it is possible to change the values of the dropdown by changing only the xml-file.

I found another solution:

1. open the form in Acrobat Pro

2. select in the menu bar Form->Manage Form Data->Import Data

3. choose your current xml-file

4. save the form

Now the values are available.

To change the values, you have to repeat these 4 steps with a new xml-file.

regards

Martin