Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dynamic Drop-Down using XML - no data seen

Former Community Member
I am trying to create a dynamically populated drop-down field that would be populated with entries in an XML file (created from Access). I can get it to show the entries in preview mode, but not when viewed as a dynamic PDF file from Acrobat.

I have tried following the instructions on this help page:

Using LiveCycle Designer > Working with Data Sources > Connecting to a data source > To create a data connection to an XML schema and XML data file

I have tried binding the drop-down object to the schema and alternatively to the sample XML data file. I have also Data Default to the XML data file in the Form Properties menu.

As said earlier, it appears to work in preview mode only. When I then save the form using Acrobat 8 Dynamic XML Form (PDF) and open this file via Acrobat, the drop-down field shows blank. The data items that used to work in the preview mode are no longer there.

I can't seem to find any examples to learn from. I've looked at several books and they do not cover this topic.

Thank you for your help.
3 Replies

Former Community Member
Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem. I can't see the XML data in the drop-down in either Acrobat or Reader but it displays in LifeCycle Designer.

How can I show the XML data in Acrobat and Reader? some one must surely have solved this problem.

Thanks

Chris

Level 7
I do not think Reader can establish a data connection to a data base in Acrobat Forms and using LiveCycle Designer to design a form does not provided access to functions not available through Acrobat. Also Extended Rights in Acrobat Professional can not provide data base connectivity. But if you want to purchase a server base product it is possible.

It might be possible to use SOAP to pass the queries in XML to a remote server and get the return from the remote server in XML.

Here is a link to an experts answer:

http://www.acrobatusers.com/forums/ask_an_expert/questions/view/1697/

Level 1

I have the exact same problem  I have bound a drop-down to an XML file and the form previews perfectly in LiveCycle.  However when the PDF is viewed in Reader the drop-down is empty.

I can not find anywhere in the doco that says that this is not possible and AFAI can see this should work.