Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Drop Down Question

Former Community Member
Hi,

I am using LiveCycle Designer 8.0/ES.

I have a drop down list and would like to have the options fully displayed when I am trying to make my selection.

The final choice should be displayed in a width smaller than the actual choice.

But in choice mode I would like to see the drop down items and the width of the text fully displayed.

I have tried enabling expand to fit for width but it is disabled and setting in the xml source did not do the trick either.

Any help or suggestions would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,

Anca
13 Replies

Former Community Member
The expand to fit would only work on a dynamic form and is only used when feeding data into the form. You can resize the dropdown box to fit your widest item, but I assume that you do not have the room to do that .....right?

Former Community Member
Hi,

The form is saved as dynamic and you are correct about not having enough room.

A

Former Community Member
Hi,

How would you make it to fit the widest item?

Thanks,

Anca

Former Community Member
So you want to have the dropdown change size as I activate it, but after I make a selection you want it to shrink back to a size that fits in the form ....right?

Former Community Member
Anca,

In the mouseEnter event for the drop down add the following javascript:

this.w = "XXin";

Then in the mouseExit event put the following javascript:

this.w = "YYin";

Where XX is the expanded length for the dropdown field, and YY is the default or contracted length. This will expand the drop down field if the user's mouse is over that dropdown, and will have it go back to regular size if the user's mouse is not over the field.

Former Community Member
Kyle and Anca,

That is the technique that I would use but I would use the Enter and Exit events instead if the mouseEnter and mouseExit events. You will have difficulty clicking on the arrow to cause the dropdown to expnd if you use those events.

Hope that helps

Former Community Member
Hi,

This is close to what I need. The only problem with this is

the width changes as soon as I am entering the field and the arrowhead and the underline runs into the field close to it.

Is there a way to hide the arrowhead?

Thanks

Anca

Former Community Member
There is no way to hide the arrow head .....how do you want it to work? When would you want the field to expand if not when you enter it?

Former Community Member
Looks good ...is it working the way you want now?

Former Community Member
Hi,

No :). This is what I am trying to achieve and can't find a way.

A

Former Community Member
send me your form,will try and fix it for you

mergeandfuse@gmail.com