Expand my Community achievements bar.

drop down list

Former Community Member
Hi,

I created a drop down list in pdf form using designer. Some of the drop down list item is quit long and it is truncated when display or selected. Is it possible to wrap the item to multiple line? And it is not possible to goto the end of the item. Is it possible to show the whole item when selected or display some kind of tool tip that show the whole item.

Thank you.
7 Replies

Former Community Member
The tooltop of the entire text is shown as a default

Former Community Member
Hi,

Thanks. The tooltip show up during the selection of the drop down list. After selected the item of choice, is it possible to show the selected item in multiple lines? Also, after selection, is it possible to forward the cursor to the end of the items?

Former Community Member
No ....you only get the width of the dropdown list ...it does not support multi-line or auto-width detection.

Former Community Member

Hi,

Thanks for the info regarding fitting text into the width of the list - I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to do it. I can't believe there is no 'wrap text' option for drop down lists.  Are there any plans for this to come into future versions?

Thanks again.

Former Community Member
how can I import a list of text from a excel spreadsheet so i don't have to manually type all the ilist information in? I am new to this program so I apologize if this is a novice concept.

Former Community Member
You can't ...you will have to type it all in or .....

You can copy and paste the individual items though.

Level 4
You can do it on XML Source view, but it's a bit complex. <br /><br />Disclaimer: I would only suggest doing this method if you have a vast number of items to paste in (and even then it may be worth considering if there is any way to eliminate the need to do this in your design, as large drop down lists can be quite troublesome).<br /><br />If you do decide to try this, practice on a empty form first until you are sure of the procedure.<br /><br />Add one or two entries in List Items with easy to recognise text (e.g. "Item Text 1" or something), and make sure the drop down box object is selected in the design area. <br /><br />Select "View" then "XML Source" from the main menu bar. It should take you to a daunting looking screen of code, with one line selected.<br /><br />Read down from the selected line, until you see some XML like this:<br /><br />> <items save="1"><br /><br />> <.text>Item Text 1<./text><br /><br />> <.text>Item Text 2<./text><br /><br />> </items><br /><br />You would need to make sure that your list items are wrapped in <.text> tags, then paste them into the XML source making sure you leave the <items save="1"> and </items> tags at the start and end of the list. I am not an excel guru so I can't tell you the best way to do this, but I imagine it is possible (the few times I've done this I've use a text editor which supports regular expressions).<br /><br />Remember that special characters like ampersand will need to be replaced with special codes, if you are not familiar with special characters in XML then read up before you attempt this.<br /><br />When you have made the changes click back on the design tab and select Yes to save changes to XML.<br /><br />b You must be extremely careful in XML Source view, the slightest error could break the form. <br /><br />Only use this as a last resort. Let me know if the explanation has not been clear enough.<br /><br />b NOTE: had to add dots to the <.text> tags as the forum was eating them.