Expand my Community achievements bar.

Drop Down List of hyperlinks - How To question

Former Community Member
Hello all.<br /><br />I am a new user of Designer 7.0. (I like it)<br /><br />I would like to make a drop down list populated with hyperlinks. The result would be a user able to select a topic from a list; and on click or separate 'go' button populated with the selected text, have that selection take them to a declared URL with a target of 'new' or 'blank.' <br /><br />I've struggled to find a solution within properties panes such as 'Bindings', and on exposing the XML, would think that all I need to do is modify the <text> tags.<br /><br />Can I get some advice or a pointer to a sample? I would be most appreciative.<br /><br />Thank you<br />Steven Seim<br />sseim@comcast.net<br />steven.seim@us.wdsglobal.com
9 Replies

Former Community Member
Here's a simple example.

Chris

Adobe Enterprise Developer Support

Former Community Member
Thank you for the speedy response Chris. I understand your solution, and can use it.<br /><br />I have to admit I was wrapping myself around modifying the <text> tags, and looking to see if I could leverage the 'bindings' tab.<br /><br />Might this be a DCR (Design Change Request) for a version to come? Why not instrument a 'Links to...' option.<br /><br />Much obliged<br />Steven

Former Community Member
My question is similar to Steve's, and it gets to his question regarding a links option. Even without the drop down box, how can you insert a button that, when depressed, will take someone to a linked address? Specifically I am trying to put a button on the form that when depressed it will take someone to the Adobe site to download a free copy of the Adobe Reader, but my question is more general on how to cause buttons to have links.

Thanks

Kelly

Former Community Member
Kelly,

Since LiveCycle Designer doesn't come with an object which is a "link button" (which, when clicked, launches a specified link in a browser), you have to use a generic button object from the Library palette's Standard tab and then use a little bit of script to make it open a link in a browser window.

If look closely at Chris' sample, you'll see that when the button is pressed, it first verifies that an item has been picked from the drop down list and, if so, executes the following script:

app.launchURL(DropDownList1.rawValue, true);

Or, in a more generic form:

app.launchURL("
Link" [,
true]);

The app.launchURL method will open the link specified in
Link using the system's default browser and, if
true is specified (it's in square brackets because that parameter is optional), will force the link to open in a
new browser window (this is good for the situation where you don't want your customer to "lose" your form while they investigate the link you're referring them to).

To create a button which, when clicked, opens a link to the download site for the Adobe Reader in a new browser window, you would first drag and drop a button object from the Library's Standard tab onto the form. Then, using the Script Editor, you would specify the following JavaScript for the button's Click event:

app.launchURL("http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html", true);

If you use "link buttons" often, you could specify the JavaScript like this:

app.launchURL("http://www.", true);

And then, having already clicked on the Library palette's Custom tab, drag and drop that "link button" object onto the list of custom objects, creating a new object in the Library for your "link button". Afterwards, you can use the Custom tab to create a new link button onto other forms and simply complete the link address for each case.

Stefan

Adobe Systems

Former Community Member
Steven,

I don't think I understand what you mean. If you'd like to give me a detailed explanation of how you think it should work I'll see about getting an enhancement request for it.

Chris

Former Community Member
Thanks again for responding quickly Chris. Let's go.

To review; this is my request:

Primary: Point/demonstrate/guide me to learning how to create a dropdown list of hyperlinks. The list should be 'clickable,' or called from a separate 'go' button populated with the selection. The result should posted in a new browser window.

Secondary: Point/demonstrate/guide me to learning how to create a list of friendly text entries that has a URL link associated with it, again clickable or called from a 'go' button. Keep the link list within the file if possible. Example:

Dropdown Entry - Adobe

Associated link - www.adobe.com

Dropdown Entry - Search Google for carbon fiber

Associated link - http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=carbon+fiber

---

Enhancement Request Detail:

---

Objective: Modify the product itself to make URL links a 'binding' option under the 'Object'/'Value' tab.

1) The user creates a dropdown list and populates with values as normal.

2) The user clicks the list object on the form, and calls the 'Object' tab from the 'Window' menubar or executes the Shift+F7 key sequence.

3) From the 'Value' tab; under the 'Type' dropdown, add a new value named 'Link List.' (or equivalent)

4) The user then clicks and opens the 'Binding' tab. When 'Link List' is selected from the 'Value' tab, the 'Values' field in the 'Binding' tab is prepopulated with the dropdown list entries. The 'Text' column would be presented as a 'Links to' column. This list would be empty. The user; on a per item basis, opens each 'Value' item and types or pastes their desired link.

---

Does this help? let me know. Call me if appropriate.

I am new to the application true. Being new though, it seems logical to me that the 'Value' and 'Bindings' tabs should work together such that it allows me to create a dropdown list of friendly text entries, with explicit URL links associated to them.

Thanks!

Steven Seim

sseim@comcast.net

steven.seim@us.wdsglobal.com

425-831-6804

Former Community Member
Thanks for the detailed description! I understand what you mean now. This is already available, though it's done in a more general way than just being specific to lists of links.

Place a drop down list on the form. Add the items using the friendly text. Go to the binding tab and select "Specify Item Values". For the values you specify the URL. This way in the list the user sees the friendly text, but behind the scenes the value is the URL. The same applies to a list box. For the Go button you would use the exact same line of script as in the sample I posted.

So, while it's not specific to links, it's basically the same process as you described. Does this sound sufficient?

Chris

Former Community Member
You bet it does. Thanks Chris.

I am so checking this out.

Steven

Former Community Member
Hi,

I am currently working in interactive adobe forms.I am curious to know if it is possible to add a MS word or any other microsoft office attachment within the interactive adobe form and also retrieve it when the form is opened again. Alternatively I would also like to understand if it is possible to add a hyperlink to a word or anyother ms office document that are stored in a shared folder. Your response is highly appreciated.

thanks

anantharam