Expand my Community achievements bar.

Does the Tab Order affect the XML layout?

Former Community Member
When I export my PDF to XML, the fields seem to be in a random order. I was wondering if the Tab Order affected the XML layout, because that's not exactly in numerical order.

Another question. Is there a way to "easily" change the tab order? It seems if I add a field to the form the tab numbers just get scrambled. I don't want to manually, one-by-one rearrange the tab order numbers.
3 Replies

Former Community Member
The order in the XML data is dictated by the order in the schema (if there is one) or by the order in the hierarchy view (when no schema or sample XML is present).

There is a tab order tool that helps you set the intended tab order. It can be found under View/Tab Order. This tool has improved greatly in version 8.2 but it is still useful in 8.1

Former Community Member
I got the same problem, I can't figure out what affect the XML layout. I have arrange my fields in the hierarchy view and also set the tab order but when I export it to XML I have a complete diffrent order.

Do you mean that the nodes in the XML file will follow same order as the hiearchy view? If it not what can I do?

Exactly what do you mean with schema and sample XML?

Former Community Member
It will follow the order in the schema (if one is defined). In the absence of a schema it will follow the structure of the heirchy. The tab order has nothing to do with data structure.