Expand my Community achievements bar.

Designer crashes on Startup

Level 3
Hi,<br /> I have adobe Workflow Designer 7.2 installed and it crashes everytime I start the app. I tried installing 7.0 and it did the same thing. The error returned is<br /> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException<br /> at javax.swing.ImageIcon.<init>(Unknown Source)<br /> ... (excluded to save me typing) ...<br /> at com.adobe.workflow.tools.processdesigner.menu.NewComponentItem.<init>(NewComponentItem.java:61)<br /> at com.adobe.workflow.tools.processdesigner.menu.FileMenu.<init>(FileMeny.java:41)<br /> at com.adobe.workflow.tools.processdesigner.menu.PADMenuBar.<br /><init>(PADMenuVar.java:34)<br /> at com.adobe.workflow.tools.processdesigner.PAD.main(PAD.java:58)<br /><br />At first I thought it was a bad install file, maybe an error while downloading or something, but I tried other installs, including one I had on a CD from Adobe, no good.<br /><br />Then I tried updating my version of Java, checking to see if there was maybe a problem there. I upgraded from 1.5 something to 1.6, no luck there either.
9 Replies

Former Community Member
Hi Robert

Note that the WF Designer is only supported with the 1.4.2.x version of the JDK as per the docs: "Before you install LiveCycle Workflow Designer, you must have J2SDK version 1.4.2_05, or a later release of

1.4.2 installed (version 1.4.2_10 is not supported)."

What app server are you trying to connect Workflow Designer to?

Diana@Adobe

Level 3
Hi,

Thanks for your help, but it doesn't look like the Java version is the problem here. I have uninstalled all versions of Java from my machine, re-installed 1.4.2_13 and then uninstalled that and tried 1.4.2_09 but neither worked.

I am trying to connect to JBoss.

Thanks again,

Rob V.

Level 3
I should actually say, I get to the login screen, but getting past there I have issues.

Former Community Member
Hi Robert

Since you are unable to install either 7.0 or 7.2 on the same machine, that leads me to believe that the problem is related to your machine.

Couple of things that may help us resolve this problem for you:

1) WF Designer is unsupported on Windows 2000. Make sure you are installing only on Linux or Windows 2003/Windows XP.

2)When you launch the WF Designer executable, are you doing so via Command Window with the -is:javaconsole argument appended? This will give a specific error message that may be helpful. (Not sure if theis is how you saw the error message you indicated).

3)Do you have any other machine to try this on?

Diana@adobe

Level 3
Hi Howard,

I am running on Windows XP, and the server runs on Red Hat Linux/JBoss.

Hi Diana,

1) Windows XP Pro

2) Yes, I am using that

3) I can see if i can borrow one briefly

Level 3
I have now installed it on another machine and it works fine. So there is something about my machine that it does not like.

Former Community Member
Hi Robert

I'm really glad to hear that you got it working (unfortunately not on your machine though!)

My suggestion would be to compare environment variables on the two machines.

Diana@adobe

Level 3
The other machine had neither JAVA_HOME nor CLASSPATH set.