Expand my Community achievements bar.

Designer 8 pdf not running server side

Former Community Member
Hi there

Forms I have built using Designer 8.0 and deployed on a W2K server work fine if the Client has the same name DSN and can connect to the same backend database otherwise the pdf loads in the browser but fails to populate the fields.

The JavaScript that is used to make the connection and call the data is set to run on both client and server.

Am I missing something? Should Designer 8.0 also be installed on the server as well as the 'build' machine (these are all .NET 2.0 Applications)?

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be most appreciated!
5 Replies

Level 6
You can only run on the server if you are using Adobe LiveCycle Forms on the server side.

Former Community Member
Hi Jared

I installed Designer on the W2K server - it then works fine locally via a browser, but set the JavaScript to run on the server only and run from a remote browser and once again no data! Any ideas?

Thanks

Level 6
LiveCycle Designer is not a server product. If you want to run the scripts on the server you need another product called Adobe LiveCycle Forms.

Former Community Member
gchq, I'm using ASP.NET also. What did you end up doing?

I've been trying to do a simple thing in ASP.NET that allows remote users to log in from the internet and open a PDF file, enter data into form fields, capture that data and update/insert that data into SQL Server.

Thanks

Former Community Member
Yoda

I'm still trying to get an answer from Adobe about LiveCycle Forms.

To be honest I've not tried using pdf forms for inserting or updating, only to populate - like insurance report forms - based on data already held.

Used to use APToolkit with asp, but that is involved coding. The downside to LiveCycle is it won't support POST so SELECT WHERE critera has to be via the address bar!

If I get any answers I'll let you know! Just before 8.0 came out I did actually get a call from Adobe sales and they assured me if I upgraded LiveCycle would work fine server side (and I wouldn't need and other 'additions'), but.....