Expand my Community achievements bar.

Data Connections and Fragments

Former Community Member
I have a PDF that changes dynamically. It starts off, the only thing visible is a selection box, where you can choose one of 8 request forms to fill out. When a form is selected the PDF shows only the needed subForms/Fragments in the correct order.

I use fragments and subForms because requirements state that I use one PDF file, and many of the sections of the 8 different forms are repeated (though sometimes in a different order) or repeated with very minor changes.

In one of my fragments, which appears under 2 of the request form choices, I need to WSDL to a process that queries a database and returns XML. The problem is, I can only databind the connection to one instance of the fragment in my PDF.

Have you ever tried to bind multiple inputs to the same data connection? It doesn't work. I thought the problem would be solved using fragments, but it still only holds the databinding for the last instance of the fragment I placed on the PDF. I have to allow both instances of the fragment to call the same webservice.

I know this is unclear, but I could really use someone's help on this, so I don't have to come up with a goofy workaround.

Thank you so much!
1 Reply

Former Community Member
If you set the binding to Global in the fragment then all of the fragments will get the same data values. If this is not what you are after then you have found a limitation in how the fragments are used. If each fragment requires a unique call to the Web Service then you will have to use temp fields to do the bindings with the Web Service then programmatically push those values into the proper fields of the fragment as required.

Hope that helps