If I pass in a XFA form I can prepopulate however the form fails when clicking complete. I believe this is due to it not being a Document Form variable.
What I think I need to do is perform a render just after the prepopulate as a XFA form and then move that to a document Form and then render and RE. however I have yet to see an example how passing data into a form document. that is wha I am exploring.
We at Cardinal Solutions have seen the need for clients to convert an xfaForm to a Document Form many times. Unfortunately doing so is not exactly straightforward due to the reason that xfaForm and Document Form are very different in how they work. One way of converting from an xfaForm to a Document Form in the interest of Digital Signatures is as follows:
1) Have two templates of your form. The two templates should be identical aside from having one's submission method set to XDP and the other's submission method set to PDF
2) Point your xfaForm process variable to your XDP submission template
3) Point your Document Form process variable to your PDF submission template
4) Create a Document process variable
5) Use the xfaForm variable up until you need to convert to DocumentForm. Let's say that you have four user steps in your process: A, B, C and D and at D you want to present the Document Form variable to the user for collection of their Digital Signature. At step C, present the xfaForm variable but set the output data (in the Assign Task properties) to your Document variable you created in 4).
6) Within "Advanced" settings in your Document Form variable, ensure that "Call the render service only once" is checked.
7) Within "Advanced" settings in your Document Form variable, set the Input Data Doc parameter to be the Document variable you created in 4).
If you have any questions, or if I have misunderstood and you require other help, please let me know!
You are on the right track. Your custom renderer needs to take and XDP and run it though the Render PDF Form service. This is where you can pass in XML data in the Form Data parameter to pre-populate the form.
Your output variable should be of type Document. Not Document Form.
I can get that far, the document opens up in workspace.
however when I click complete after signing the form it gives me the following error in the server.log
2009-03-05 09:22:40,998 WARN [com.adobe.workspace.tasks.com.adobe.workspace.tasks.DocumentSubmitServlet] ALC-WKS-005-029: A problem occurred in the Submit Service. Please review the submit orchestration for this process.
flex.messaging.MessageException: ALC-WKS-005-029: A problem occurred in the Submit Service. Please review the submit orchestration for this process.