Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Copying Subforms

Former Community Member
Hi, I have made a subform using the default form "purchase order" found at: \\LiveCycle Designer ES\8.2\EN\Samples\Forms\Purchase Order\Dynamic\Forms.

in this PDF, there is a form to add new lines to a table and remove those lines. I have edited this table to reflect what I want it to say and want to just copy it over to an existing lifecycle doc. I'm working on.

When that didn't work, I tried just flat out copying the original code from one file to another but it does not work. I'm guessing something else needs to be done that I'm not seeing.

I'm copying the graphical end, then copying all the code over into a blank document and it still doesn't work. I've gone through every line of code and all the options, but I don't see any difference between the two documents that would prevent the copy from working.

If I'm missing something I would appreciate any help! Thank you!!!!
9 Replies

Former Community Member
If you click on the subform in the hierarchy view then all objects in that subform will be high lighted. Then under the edit menu click copy. The objects are now on your clipboard. Change to the new form and paste the objects where you want them. Note that the hierachy structure will more than likely not be the same between the two forms so you may have to adjust the code to reflect any changes. AS well set up your new form as a dynamic form (File/ Form Properties)or any programmatic manipulation of subforms will not work.

Former Community Member
Thank you, not sure why that worked, but it did. I guess usinc CTRL+C/CTRL+V doesn't cut it! You just saved me hours of pain and torment!!!!!!!!

Former Community Member
I may have celebrated too early. I am able to copy the forms into a blank document now and have them work, but I am unable to get the forms working in the pre-existing document I already have completed.

I have it set up with the same layout and folder-setup.

I do get the following error, but i'm not sure if this is the cause of the issue or not:

Generating PDF Document...

Invalid version: The current version of the XFA template model exceeds the capability of Acrobat / Adobe Reader 7.0.5.

PDF generated successfully.

Form version is higher than target version. This form may not run properly on target.

I'm using LifeCycle 8.2. I have reader 9.0 and acrobate Pro. 8.2.

I'll keep playing with it, and if I get any other details I will post them. I appreciate any help!

Former Community Member
That message is appearing because you have set up a target version of 7.05 but you are using features on the form that 7.05 does not support. You can adjust the target version in the Form Properties ...also make sure it is set as dynamic.

Former Community Member
both changed, but neither helped the form. (that error actually exists before I move the form over)

I'm still looking the form over (hour #4 today) but havn't come up with a reason for it to not work. If I copy it to the existing form, it doesn't work. if I copy it from the existing form to a blank doc. it works again. I am not sure the best route to take in order to troubleshoot this issue. if you have any advice I would appreciate it.

Former Community Member
Are you previewing the form in Acrobat? If so you can hit Ctrl-J to get the java console up and see if any errors are generated.

If you try that and it is still a problem email the form to livecycle8@gmail.com and I will have a look.

Former Community Member
sent the form to your email. still having issues with it. i was previewing in "preview PDF" from adobe lifecycle. thank you again for all the help.

Former Community Member
hi, i know you looked at this via email for me. you said i had to convert it to a dynamic PDF form. as far as I can tell i've changed every instance of static to dynamic, but the form type still comes up as static. I went to file/form properties/Defaults-PDF form rendering.

file/form properties/preview- changed to dynamic

tools/options/document handling-default file types.

all are set to dynamic, but i guess i'm missing something because file/form properties/compatability is still set as standard.

Former Community Member
When you do a Save As you can choose dynamic PDF as an option. That is the one that is causing you grief.