Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Connection failed because the environment is not trusted

Former Community Member
hello.<br /><br />i was asked to look into connecting a database (MS Access) to a drop downlist in a pdf form. i have never touched any pdf creation stuff prior to this. <br /><br />first issue: <br /><br />** when i try to create a data connection with "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers" i can almost create the connection, but when i get to choosing the table, a dialog pops up saying it "Could not open table".<br /><br />** if i create a dsn (which is NOT what we want in the end - but did it for a test), i also get the "Could not open table" error.<br /><br />** sooooo ... i created a connection using "Microsoft Jet 4.0 OLE DB Provider". This lets me fully create the connection.<br /><br />** QUESTION: why can't i create the connection with OLE DB Provider? Why does the JET provider work?<br /><br />-----------------------<br />second issue (and this is the biggie):<br /><br />** when i add a drop down list to my pdf form, i cannot get anything to show up in the list no matter what i try. the most recent attempts have actually given me error messages "Connection for <my connection> failed because the environment is not trusted". <br /><br />** okay, fine, how do i make it trusted?<br /><br />** how do i get this software to do what i need?<br /><br />even just a simple form with one drop down list will not connect to my data connection. it feels like i have missed some kind of security config or permissions.<br /><br />any help would be appreciated.
3 Replies

Former Community Member
Database connections must be either through an ODBC connection or the form must be certified in Acrobat. This is due to security concerns. You can view the Help topic "To create a data connection to an OLE database" for more info.

I'm not sure why you cannot create the connection using the ODBC Driver. I've done this many times myself. Is the mdb file read-only, or does it require credentials to connect?

Ernest

Adobe Systems

Former Community Member
Ernest,

Thanks for the reply.

re: Access Permissions

There are no credentials required on the mdb. I actually put "Everyone" as Modify on the mdb, just to test it out. Still nothing.

re: Certified in Acrobat.

How do i do this?

This seems like it might solve the issue, though i've no idea how to certify the connection.

thanks for your time

david renz

Former Community Member
In Acrobat 8, select Advanced -> Sign & Certify. You will need a Digital ID. Acrobat Help has more info on this under "Digital Signatures", "Signing PDFs", "Certify a PDF".

Ernest

Adobe Systems