Expand my Community achievements bar.

Connecting to a webservice (WSDL)

Former Community Member
I am struggling with Adobe LiveCycle Designer. I cant get it to read a web service that returns a sting. I created the web service in Visual Studio the service is running on localhost. Everything goes smoothly until I press the button.

I create a execute button, in PDF Preview the execution option is set to run at Client, when I click on it and nothing happens. If I change the execution option to run at Server, I get "Couldn't post data to ''." I disabled my firewall in the hope that that was the problem but I still get the error.

Please Help.
10 Replies

Former Community Member
The .zip file here:

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/livecycle/DesignerTutorialFiles.zip

contains a PDF document and sample code to connect form elements to a webservice. It may help you out?

Mike

Former Community Member
Thank you, very much for the info. May I ask if you would try run the following http://www.accelerate-web.co.za/HelloWorld.pdf. I have a suspicion that the problem is not be Adobe LiveCycle Designer 7.0 it might be a security setting on my computer.

Adam

Former Community Member
That works fine for me when I run it inside Adobe Acrobat Professional.

Were you trying to do this inside the free version of Reader? You may need LiveCycle Reader Extensions to connect to the webservice from the free Reader client.

Mike

Former Community Member
I think we have hit on the problem. I am using the free Reader and the try out version of Professional. So I am assuming that I will have to buy Adobe® LiveCycle Reader® Extensions server if I want to distibute Interactive PDF Documents and if I want to create and test them I need Adobe Professional?

Adam

Former Community Member
The following threads may be of interest to you:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bbcbf55 (Submit document via webservice)

Lori DeFurio, "LiveCycle Reader® Extensions strike me out" #11, 8 Sep 2005 1:13 am (LiveCycle Reader Extensions strikes me out)

The LiveCycle Reader Extensions forum can help you out as well:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bba01bf

What do you define as an interactive PDF document? One that connects to a webservice? The free Reader client can submit form data without requiring Reader Extensions.

Mike

Former Community Member
Adam You do not need Reader extension server if you have Try out of Acrobat prof.

Reader extension server is to make it possible for Acrobar Reader users.

Are you using Windows fire wal?

If so control the settings!

/Ulf

Former Community Member
Hey Ulf, Removed the fire wall all together and it didn't work I still can't get the call to work. It seems if you have Pro it works. The dilemma is I want to create forms for people that while be on the free Reader. What would guys suggest I do.

Adam

Former Community Member
It toke me two days to discover the question:-

Is using Adobe® LiveCycle Reader® Extensions the only way to allow users that only have the free Adobe® Reader on their computer, the ability to submit information from a PDF form to a web service?

The definitive answer is:-

Web Services (via SOAP) are available in:

- full Acrobat (Std or Pro)

- Adobe Reader *if* the PDF has been reader-enabled for Web Services

Thank you to all the people that contributed and persevered my insufferable nagging. And special Thank you to Lori DeFurio for the final answer.

Adam

Former Community Member
So then what is the answer? Do you have to have LC Reader Extensions in order to webservice enable the free reader? And how much is that puppy? I asked Adobe and no one can answer that.

Paul

Former Community Member
When you read this I am assuming you will be sitting down if you are not I would recommend you do. I was quoted about $14600. For ONE form!! I live in South Africa here we could build 10 houses for that.