Highlighted

Collecting images/documents within a form

28-05-2008

I need to create a form where we can collect images/documents as part of the information provider by the user. Is this possible? I've tried using the image field but can't figure out how to extract/download the image uploaded plus thats not ideal for other types of files (PDF's, word docs etc etc). Thanks Lisa

Replies

Highlighted

pguerett

28-05-2008

The image field will allow the user to select an image but you cannot programmatically retrieve an image without the users knowledge.

I can however include images within data files or web service calls and bind them to image fields.

Can you elaborate on your use case and we can suggest the best approach. It sounds like you want attachments (all different types of files to be sent with the PDF).
Highlighted

28-05-2008

Here's more info. The user is providing us with info to set up their products on our website. So we've got a standard format for info like name, description etc plus they need to give us a product image plus supporting resources (product sheets, whitepapers etc) which could be in a number of different file formats. This is an offline collection process at the moment so I can't just use a file upload. We're trying to get it so they can upload the docs into the form and then send the form to us. Currently the docs are sent with the form and sometimes we don't get everything.
Highlighted

28-05-2008

A few may have Acrobat but most users are using Reader as their viewer. We don't have a LiveCycle Server license, we're just using LiveCycle Designer.
Highlighted

pguerett

29-05-2008

Ok ....I was thinking of having the User add all of the associated files as attachments to the form. Then when they submit you will have to get the attachments out of the PDF. If you had LiveCycle you could automate the process and get the attachments to where you need them. Without it, you will have to open the PDF and extract the attachments yourself. If you decide to go this way I can share some code with you to automate the attachments and submission process.

Another option is to use email. You can have a button on the form that will email the completed form. Once the user clicks the button, their email client will come up and they can add the attachments to the email. This may be a bit trickier if you do not know or control which email client they use (i.e yahoo or msn accounts can be problematic as their is no mail client)

How many submission are you expecting ...this will help to decide which way to go.
Highlighted

29-05-2008

It will be fairly low volume/only a few each week so having to open up the PDF to extract the attachments is no problem. I'd prefer this way to creating an email button as it's easier to keep all the pieces together. If you can help that would be great, thanks Lisa
Highlighted

pguerett

30-05-2008

If you post your email address I will send you a sample form that shows how to deal with attachments programmatically. You can take the code from that to accomplish what you want.