Expand my Community achievements bar.

Collecting images/documents within a form

Former Community Member
I need to create a form where we can collect images/documents as part of the information provider by the user. Is this possible? I've tried using the image field but can't figure out how to extract/download the image uploaded plus thats not ideal for other types of files (PDF's, word docs etc etc). Thanks Lisa
47 Replies

Former Community Member
The image field will allow the user to select an image but you cannot programmatically retrieve an image without the users knowledge.

I can however include images within data files or web service calls and bind them to image fields.

Can you elaborate on your use case and we can suggest the best approach. It sounds like you want attachments (all different types of files to be sent with the PDF).

Former Community Member
Here's more info. The user is providing us with info to set up their products on our website. So we've got a standard format for info like name, description etc plus they need to give us a product image plus supporting resources (product sheets, whitepapers etc) which could be in a number of different file formats. This is an offline collection process at the moment so I can't just use a file upload. We're trying to get it so they can upload the docs into the form and then send the form to us. Currently the docs are sent with the form and sometimes we don't get everything.

Former Community Member
Are they using Acrobat or Reader as their viewer? Do you have a LiveCycle Server license?

Former Community Member
A few may have Acrobat but most users are using Reader as their viewer. We don't have a LiveCycle Server license, we're just using LiveCycle Designer.

Former Community Member
Ok ....I was thinking of having the User add all of the associated files as attachments to the form. Then when they submit you will have to get the attachments out of the PDF. If you had LiveCycle you could automate the process and get the attachments to where you need them. Without it, you will have to open the PDF and extract the attachments yourself. If you decide to go this way I can share some code with you to automate the attachments and submission process.

Another option is to use email. You can have a button on the form that will email the completed form. Once the user clicks the button, their email client will come up and they can add the attachments to the email. This may be a bit trickier if you do not know or control which email client they use (i.e yahoo or msn accounts can be problematic as their is no mail client)

How many submission are you expecting ...this will help to decide which way to go.

Former Community Member
It will be fairly low volume/only a few each week so having to open up the PDF to extract the attachments is no problem. I'd prefer this way to creating an email button as it's easier to keep all the pieces together. If you can help that would be great, thanks Lisa

Former Community Member
If you post your email address I will send you a sample form that shows how to deal with attachments programmatically. You can take the code from that to accomplish what you want.

Former Community Member
That would be great. My email is gorgeousarmageddon@gmail.com. Thanks

Former Community Member
Thanks for providing the sample form. This did what I needed and I was able to copy it in my form so users can now attach their images/docs when they fill out the form, Thanks Lisa

Former Community Member
Hi Paul, I am relatively new at LiveCycle and mainly self-taught, so please bear with me - I am looking to put an image box/frame into a form, in which a Reader 8.0 user (with enabled rights) can insert a photograph into a pre-determined spot on the form. I believe this is a similar issue Lisa was dealing with. This form I am working on won't be connected to a form server, thus collection for upload isn't really an option.

Would this sample Lisa refers to be of any assistance in configuring the form I'm working on? If so, would it be possible to have a copy of the form and any explanations sent to me at my company email? My email is Elaine.Grydsuk@ontario.ca.

I am using LiveCycle 8.0.

I'd appreciate whatever help you can provide! Thks Elaine

Former Community Member
Is the idea that the user would click on the location of where the image should go and choose the image from a file system list or are you trying to attach the image programatically (i.e. without user intervention)?

Former Community Member
What I'm aiming for is to have a spot where the user can insert a picture from their own files (on their hard drive) then submit the saved completed form to me (electronically), which would eventually be included in a compilation of various submissions. The image is meant to stay within the document (not to be extracted for other purposes). The form I'm drafting would be a dynamic .pdf form (8.0) with enabled user rights in order to allow the user to keep an electronic copy of what they send. Is this even possible? Thks, Paul! Elaine

Former Community Member
Yes ....If you use an image field (not an Image) then when the form is rendered the user can click on the field and a file dialog will come up and ask them to choose their image file to embed.

The image will be part of the data that is submitted (or the complete PDF if you submitting that).

Former Community Member
That's excellent! Thank you very much Paul! If I run into problems, I'll let you know! Elaine

Former Community Member
I am trying to do the same as Lisa. Please help!

Former Community Member
Post your email address and I will forward the sample I provided Lisa.

Former Community Member
The sample provided works. However, when I choose to delete an attachment form the list, then go back and add an attachment to the list box, the list box gets populated with the ones previously deleted.

It seems that there is something to decrement or initialize but I can't put my finger on it.

Former Community Member
Hi I am trying to do the same as Lisa too, I have been searching for hours can you please send the example to me too. email@bencoussens.com