Expand my Community achievements bar.

capturing data from one text field to another?

Former Community Member
Hello, I am teaching myself this program and am still trying to get a handle on the basics.

I am currently building an online contract for some clients, and I would like to have a text field at the top of each page that captures the text from my current "Last Name" or "Business Name" field to create a "Contract Name". I know how to make this a read-only text field, but can not figure out how to have it capture the text the user will already be entering in the other two fields.

Please help?

Krista

Thank you
3 Replies

Former Community Member
Krista,

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but I have something similar where I only want the user to enter the field one and have it filled in on other text boxes throughout the form. This is the formcalc formula that I used in the script editor (under Window in the menu bar).

F.P3.route = F.P1.route

This copies the "route" id from the field named route on page 1 (P1) to the field named "route" on page 3 (P3). You should be able to do this with any field names and pages. The field that is copying the text will need to be set to calculate

Level 7
You can also use "global" binding for fields with the same name.

Former Community Member
I believe Krista is talking about something I would like also. To populate field (contract) IF the field (lastname) is null, then use the field (business), and if that is null use field (project). I am not up to speed on script writing so if someone can help I would really appreciate it.