Expand my Community achievements bar.

Capture date from barcode back in to pdf

Level 4
Hey,

Is it possible to capture data from a barcode on an barcoded form en have it automaticly put back in the form-fields with an handscanner?

Thanks in advance,

RonnyR
7 Replies

Level 4
I have been able to do this with a very simple form with two textfields and a barcode. But I need to do the same with an large document of >10 pages with +- 8 barcodes on it that each cover an part of the form. The form also has dynamic content.

Grz,

Former Community Member
Hi Ronny, yes, you can do this if you encode your barcode using a tab delimited format.

Is your hand-scanner a keyboard wedge based scanner or a serial scanner (or usb / serial)?

Level 4
Hi Lee,

I do have one little problem left with repopulating my form. All data is populated correctly accept for a Drop-Down-List. Is there something special about it? And when I scan into a texteditor all data is shown correctly.

Thanks in advance,

Former Community Member
Hi Ronny, with the tab delimited fields I don't know how you would populate a drop-down list.

This sample may help you. It's a good example of a form that allows both filling and printing and then filling again on the same form.

http://my.adobe.acrobat.com/barcodedformssamplefillandprintprintandfill/

Level 4
Hi,

Thanks for your sample. I have been able to get a drop-downlist filled but also with a work-around using a textfield to comunucate with the barcode-data. Is there a way to add the label of the barcode to the barcode with javascript I would like to add this to your script to be able to use something like your sample with multiple barcodes?

Thanks in advance.

Former Community Member
In JavaScript you can retrieve the barcode label using this syntax:

PaperFormsBarcode1.caption.value.text.value;

One trick to finding this kind of information in a form is to go directly to the XML source of the form. Work your way into the object and you can usually work out what the syntax should be.

When you look at the XML for the barcode, you will see from the above example that the label is contained in the text element of the caption value.

Former Community Member
Hi RonnyR,

Can you please tell me how you can populate the form data from 2D barcode, have you done this through script(javascript)?.

Thanks & Regards,

Faisal Afzal