Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Can't get button to work on static pdf

Level 4

I have a form where we would like a second page to open upon button click which contains directions for the user to create a dynamic stamp to approve a document. The button works fine if the document is saved as a dynamic pdf but that defeats the purpose because commenting is disabled on a dynamic pdf. When I save it as a static pdf, the button does not open the second page with the instructions. We don't want the instruction page to be always visible nor do we want it to print if the page is not set to visible. Please help.

9 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

you will not be able to show/hide pages or objects in a static form, this is only available in dynamic forms.

But, as you already recognised, commenting won't be available in dynamic forms.

Level 4

We are choosing to use digital stamps to approve documents because digital signatures created by individuals on their computers cannot be verified. I created one in my name, my boss' name and my dogs name. They all look the same on the form. Only the stamps display the user ID of who created them, so even tho I could change the name that was on the dynamic stamp, it still showed my user ID that I sign into our system on.

Trust is a big issue and since the stamps can be identified, we've chosen that route. But even a pop up message box won't work attached to a button on a static pdf. How do you suggest I do this? We don't want the instructions always visible and part of the form. We don't want them to print unless the user chooses to print that page. We are trying to create a totally digital process and printing out extra pages is counterproductive.  We feel that our users will definitely need instructions on how to create a digital stamp. We have 3,000 employees so personalized training is out of the question.

I tried putting the instructions to display upon page load but they don't want that as a constant because it will in time become annoying.

I'd appreciate any solution you can think of.

Level 10

Well,

the stamps using the identiy object to get the users information.

This object can also be used by javascript, but in a limited context.

You need a folder level script to use it in Adobe Reader.

There are 4 properties the object can return.

Install the folder level script in the JavaScripts folder of Adobe Reader, close and reopen Reader to enable the script.

The script looks like this.

To call the functions in the folder level script, add a script to the initialize:Event of a form field which should display the information.

This call the function getName and returns the name of the current user.

Here's a link to a sample form and the folder level script you need.

https://acrobat.com/#d=ghT-JotpD6h9*r1Ht7QoNw

Level 4

I got the sample, thanks. But I'm not sure how you mean me to use it. If I put this in the folder of Reader, how will that work on the client's computer? And will this ask for the identity every time the client opens the form?

Level 10

Well,

the script has to installed on every client who's using the forms.

I assumed you're using the form with you company net, where it's generally not that difficult to distribute those folder level script.

The script will be loaded as soon Reader has been opened.

And every form then can call the functions in that script.

Level 4

No we are not using the form on the server, but have it on our infoNet for each user to download, fill out and save. I was trying to build instructions into the page itself, but we didn't want the instructions to always be present on the form. So the hidden page in the dynamic form was a perfect solution as it would only open if they clicked the button, but then they wouldn't be able to affix a digital stamp.  I guess I just don't understand why a pdf can't do both. Why is commenting disabled on a dynamic pdf?

Level 10

In a dynamic form the whole layout and content is rerendered based on the xml data stream in the PDF everytime you open the form.

Not so in a static form. there everything is hardcoded into the PDF file.

A dynamic form can change at runtime at every moment, a thing a static one never can do.

There everything is fixed in it's position or content.

There a comment will be, once created, on the same place at every time you reopen the file.

And, a stamp will be reliable, cause we know the file still looks the same as in the moment the stamp was created.

Those things are not ensured in dynamic forms, so this functions are disabled.

Level 4

But in a case like this, it would come in handy. I understand that for a dynamic forms with a flowed main page subform, this would cause a problem. But in my case, the main page subform is not flowed, nor are there any subforms that are. I just want the button to open a hidden page. Perhaps that will be an option built in LiveCycle in the future that allows that function when the subforms are static. Thanks for your input. I'm so glad I found this forum. I was just given the LiveCycle software and told to figure it out. I've learned some but no where near what I've learned since finding this forum.

Level 10

Ok,

just another idea.

You could attach your instructions (as separate PDF) to your static form and use a button to open that attachment when needed.

It think it doesn't matter if you show a hidden page or open an attachment.