Expand my Community achievements bar.

Can live cycle create a PDF form that is saved on a desktop and filled out simply to be attached to

Former Community Member
I'm new to using LiveCycle to create PDF forms. I have a simple "Request for Quote" form that simply needs to be filled out in Acrobate Reader and then attached to a new Email message that goes to our quoting people.

right now when the form is opened by the users in READER it shows the message PLEASE FILL OUT THE FOLLOWING FORM. YOU CANNOT SAVE DATA TYPED INTO THE FORM. PLEASE PRINT YOUR COMPLETED FORM IF YOU WOULD LIKE A COPY FOR YOUR RECORDS.

Years ago i remember having a simple form that you could just send out have a user fill in the boxes and then just email it back filled in. I love the layout options that LiveCycle gives but i'm having a hard time with a simple "fill this out and email it back" option.

I've been hunting around in LiveCycle for an option that would allow this but i must keep missing it.

any help or ideas??
6 Replies

Former Community Member
You can do that ....simply add a button ....make it a submit button. You can then change th esubmit options to send pdf and then set the submit URL to use the mailto protocol. Do a web search on mailto and you will see how to set that parameter.

Former Community Member
thanks paul i'm going to look into that option right after i hit POST MESSAGE..

thanks again..

Former Community Member
that was just what i needed.. thanks again paul it worked like a charm

Former Community Member
perhaps under this topic you can help me too !!

I have created a form from a template, and another from a custom word doc, both with form fields these all work well.

I know want to use them as customer order forms with email submission, so have placed a submit button on them & set up the return email address & subject line.

Now heres where it seems to go wrong, when I send them to myself for testing they post out via O.E. BUT when I open the attachement they open I.E. & lines of code apper........no form ????

what am I doing wrong??

PLEASE

Former Community Member
OK folks, have the answer now. thanks will be back

Norfolk

Former Community Member
You are doing exactly what I am as well, and creating a savable form. Although it is a slight process, it is very do-able.

1. First create your form in LiveCycle. Once finshed, save it and close down LiveCycle. (e.g. you should have "Document1.pdf")

2. Open your new PDF with Acrobat Professional. Make sure you see the fields, and then add Usage Rights to the document (Advanced - Enable Usage Rights In Acrobat Reader).

3. It will ask you to save it, so save it as something else. (e.g. now you save it as "Document1A.pdf")

4. Then the KEY is to chose File - Save As and save it one last time as another name. (e.g. "Document1Final.pdf")

5. Close Acrobat Professional and open your final file ("Document1Final.pdf") with Acrobat Reader. You should be able to fill out and save the PDF, so it can be emailed back as a filled-in document. At this point you can make a copy of it and name it whatever you would like the customers to see ("BobsRequestForQuote.pdf")

Remember not to save over your final document (or you will have to recreate it), but keep it in a safe place for sending out to customers. Sure beats handwritten forms sometimes!

J