Expand my Community achievements bar.

Can i pass a Digital Signature that is signed by user from one PDF file to other PDF or XDP file?

Former Community Member
The problem is, i would like to make the multiple forms for my process. use a digital signature field in my form for approval. Example, The absence workflow process. This process require 2 signatures from manager and director. and Digital Signature field will appear when the process need it, such as if it is in manager approval process, it doesn't show digital signature field for director approval. when this process is passed to Director, the field is be shown. for this case, i have to use the multiple forms and i must pass the value or data from previous process to the current process and also include digital signature. Please give some suggestion for solve this issue.

Thanks.

Mac
5 Replies

Former Community Member
Hi Mac,

I am not sure I fully understand your requirements, but if I did, then I am not sure that multiple forms are the right solution, anyway a digital signature cannot move from one form to another, as it misses the integrity idea of digital signatures.

As Adobe uses versions technology to allow you to change a document and still keep its digital signatures valid, you can simply add a signature field after the manager has signed and allow the director sign on the new created field, this workflow will not invalidate the manager signature. If you right click a digital signature you can see the data (or version) that was signed by this signature.

BTW, can you please tell me what certificates are you going to use, and where are you going to store the signers private keys?

Thanks

Tal,

Tal@arx.com

Former Community Member
Hi Tal,

I don't understand much about the digital signature structure, the certificate that I'm testing, is made from Acobat Professional 8, and export it to be a cer format file(*.cer). After that this certificate will be uploaded to the Trust Management module in the LiveCycle ES server. So i can use the validate signature function in the workflow system.

Thank for your encouragement,

Mac

Former Community Member
Hi Mac,

I understand much in digital signatures, so if you have any question, you can also contact me directly to tal@arx.com

I can also give you more details about the steps you should do in oder to update the PDF document and leave it valid.

As for the certificate, if I understand you correctly, you generated a self signed certificate by Adobe, which menas that anyone who gets a signed file from you must first explicitly trust your certificate and only then be able to verify your document.

There are other ways to do it that also allow you to send your document to someone you don't know (and therefore there is no way he'll trust your certificate), and still he'll be able to verify your PDF correctly.

Again, in any question, please feel free to contact me.

Tal

Level 9
Hi Mac

I think the simple answer is to have two signature fields, one for Manager, and the other for Director, and then hide either one or other of the fields as necessary.

I put together a short example which I will post shortly.

Howard

http://www.avoka.com