Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Calling Web Service Error?

Level 2
Hello all,

I've created an LDAP Query Process in LC Workbench and when calling it as a Web Service from my form I'm getting an "Error attempting to read from file" error.

I did do a search, and disabled the security for this process. Which didn't help at all. Is there perhaps an option I need to change in the 'short-lived' process area, under 'transaction settings'?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
8 Replies

Former Community Member
What is the web serice returning ....a string?, xml? or another var format?

The web service must be shortlived for it to return the output values when it is called. Also in adminui you can disable security and set the runAs parameter accordingly. Have a look at the app server log to see if the web service is throwing any errors when it is called. Does the web service work when called from work bench?

Level 2
Hi Paul,

It's returning a string, specifically an e-mail address.

Okay, it is set to be short-lived and everything was left to the defaults. I disabled the security, the "runAs" is also disabled.

There is an error in the App log:

ERROR [com.adobe.idp.workflow.dsc.invoker.WorkflowDSCInvoker] An exception was thrown with name com.adobe.idp.dsc.DSCException message:No Credential or Context set while invoking service LDAPService and operation ldapQuery and no fault routes were found to be configured.

What does this error mean exactly?

And the service does work inside of Workbench.

Former Community Member
The issue is with the runAs. You have disabled security in calling your web service, but your web service is in turn calling the LDAP service. You can either disable security on that service (not recommended) or set up the runAs parameter to use the system account. then when your service makes the LDAP call it is using the admin account.

P

Level 2
Hi Paul,

I tried the above steps and it did clear the error in the App log, however; I still get the aforementioned error in Workspace and in Designer (doing just a 'Preview PDF'), "Error attempting to read from file".

Any other ideas?

I've tried this on two different ES 8.2 servers, both with the same results.

Thanks.

Former Community Member
If you run the web service from work bench do you get the desired return from the web service?

Can you export the web service as an LCA and send it to livecycle8@gmail.com and I will have a look here.

Level 2
Hi Paul,

Yes, invoking it inside of Workbench does work.

I just sent you the web service, thanks again.

Level 3
Hello all,

as it looks I'm having exactly the same issue -- and I'm not even using anything close to LDAP, just a variable logger and a set value.

Every pointer would be much appreciated ...

S.

Former Community Member
By default security is set on for Web Services in LiveCycle. Depending on which client you are using will determine whether you can leave security on/off. Acrobat/Reader 9 added support for secure web services. Meaning when the web service is called a dialog wil appear to allow you to enter valid credentials. If you are using an earlier client they do not support secure web services so it will just sit there.

You can disable security through the adminui. Look under Services/Applications and Services/Service Management and search for your particular service. Once it is located, click on the Security tab. There are two things you need to be concerned with. First is to disable security. Second, in the runAs area, check the box that says Specify RunAs then choose System in the dropdown. Don't forget to save. The RunAs parameter tells the system that when your service makes calls to other services to use the credentials specified; otherwise, you will have to turn security on all other services that your's is calling.