Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

building a custom button

Former Community Member
I've been using LiveCycle off and on for a couple of weeks now. One question that has come up several times - is it possible to build a custom graphic button?

I can't find a way to import an image into an existing LiveCycle button. I've tried putting in an image and then positioning an invisible button over top of it. This is clumsy at best.

I'm now wondering if I would need to build a custom object. Is the the correct way to do this?

Any help is much appreciated.
10 Replies

Former Community Member
My problem looks similar. The same problem under LCDesigner - so I´ve create my new Image-Buttons without problems under Acrobat Professional, so far so good. But the LFDesigner can only pictured them as Text-Buttons without Images. Have you find a solution?

Former Community Member
Dennis Schröder - No, I haven't found a solution in LiveCycle.

Good idea about creating an image button in Acrobat Professional. Does it import into LiveCycle and still work?

Former Community Member
Unfortunately NO - the LiveCycleDesigner imports only Text-Buttons, so my Image-Button is pictured as a blank button. This isn´t a solution.

Former Community Member
Dennis Schröder - oh. Well, it was a nice thought.

I've searched this forum, along with the web, and haven't been able to find anything about making a custom button. I would have assumed that someone would have wanted to do this before now. Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms or something.

My hope is that someone here on these forums will have a solution.

Former Community Member
I ran across this article on Stefan Cameron's Blog FormBuilder that might be helpful.

http://blogs.adobe.com/formbuilder/2006/08/tracking_mouse_clicks.html

Good luck!

Thanks

Pam

Former Community Member
In regards to my previous message # 5 posted within this thread:

Please Note!

I was able to get the "Download Sample [pdf] form in the Tracking Mouse Clicks to work using Acrobat Professional 7.05 but it did not populate the textfield1 properly in Acrobat Professional 8.1.0 causing this message in debug.

oBtnRect has no properties

12:XFA:form1[0]:#subform[0]:Button1[0]:clickException in line 12 of function top_level, script XFA:form1[0]:#subform[0]:Button1[0]:click

oBtnRect has no properties

12:XFA:form1[0]:#subform[0]:Button1[0]:click

I submitted a comment letting Stefan know of the issue. Messages go through a moderation process.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Pam

Former Community Member
I was able to take one of my existing pdf's that has a standard button that is working. I customized the button to have borders set to None and the background fill set to None.

I added an image and placed the image on top of the button. I moved the image to the back. Saved my form in designer 8.05.2073.1.374024 and reopened in professional 8.1.0. The button was invisible but I could see the image. I clicked on the borderless, backgroundless button and it worked correctly.

Thanks

Pam

Level 7
1. Create an image field and chose an image.

2. Create a button field over the image field

3. Object tab

3. a. Field tab

3. a. 1) Caption: empty

3. a. 2) Appearance: Custom...

4. Border tab 4. a. set all borders to none

4. b. set background fill to none

A working example:

http://forum.planetpdf.com/wb/default.asp?action=9&fid=5&read=59177&Msg=Show

Former Community Member
Thanks a lot! Now it works! For posterity, I have testes the different actionevents, I have choosed a clickevent to start my scripts and the wrong type of control for the button (normal instead of accomplish) ... however, take the mouseupevent as in the sample (G. Kaiser) and it works.

Former Community Member
Geo Kaiser - thank you very much! *big smile*