Expand my Community achievements bar.

Blanket Fill in for same field on multiple page form?

Former Community Member
I have a form that is many pages long and it has certain fields that appear on each page... (ie Name, address etc)

Anyone know of a way for the user to fill in the field on page 1 and the other fields will automatically populate on the other pages in the form?
8 Replies

Former Community Member
In version 5 (which is what I use and currently don't intend to upgrade) you have to write a script that locates the duplicated fields and then sets their value.

Essentially, you obtain the number of times it is repeated from the underlying form object and use that to do a loop, using the loop index to reference each occurance. You can also go through the complete collection of objects and when one with the same name is found, you would set its value. The first method is more efficient. In version 5, at least, you do have to recognize when the loop is referencing the source field and not update it or weird things would happen.

Former Community Member
Since I've created one form with Adobe Designer, I must be an expert. <g><br /><br />So, I'll jump in here.<br /><br />After the user fills in the first one, duplicates could be calculated fields with value equal to the first one.<br /><br />BTW, I'm using version 7.<br /><br />HTH,<br /><br /> >don<

Former Community Member
There's a very easy way to do this without any required scripting - make the field binding "Global". So if you have a field on page 1 called "name" and similarly named fields on subsequent pages of the form (i.e., they are all called "name"), select the field on page 1 and in the Object - Binding tab change the Default Binding to "Global". You'll get a warning message stating that all fields with the same name will be set to global binding (which is what you want). Then in PDF Preview when you enter data into the first "name" field, all other "name" fields will contain the same data.

Former Community Member
Hello:

If your original document is already in PDf format (created in a different version of Acrobat) is it possible to edit the document in 7.0 Professional? Thanks.

Former Community Member
Kathie,

You should be able to use Acrobat 7 to edit PDF format in older version. I notice you have some questions regarding to fillable form. It is actually questions for Adobe Designer not Adobe Acrobat.

Shoot me an email to j1mm4@pacbell.net if you need any helps.