Expand my Community achievements bar.

Assigning value of note from attacments and notes to process variable

Level 8
Level 8
Hi all,

I am trying to get hold of the notes and attachments for a process, and I would like to get the title and text of a note and assign it to a process variable. How can this be done?

I cant find anything on notes in the help menu only for attachments.

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Kim
6 Replies

Former Community Member
The notes and attachments are not in the data that is being submitted. They are in a separate layer in the PDF. You will need to submitthe entire PDF then use LiveCycle Assembler to extract the comments and attachments from the PDF.

Level 8
Level 8
Hi Paul,

Are we talking about the same type of attachments and notes?

I am talking about the attachments and notes that you can add to a process (shown in Workbench under the user step - Attacments and Notes pane).

I have managed to process a form and pull out the attachments (in a list variable), this list variable I have set as the attachment list for the first user step in the process and this gives an extra tab in Workspace which shows me the attachments that were in the form just attached to the process user step and not the PDF.

I can also add more attachments if I want or even a note for the process if I want to.

I have found a way to access the attachments in livedocs:

Creating Processes > Designing human-centric processes > Document attributes for attachments and notes (I can not make a link, sorry)

but I have no documentation for how to access the notes (which has a title and a body).

The scenario I am trying to solve is actually quite simple, I want the user to be able to add his or her own note to a step (without adding a comment field on the form) and send out an email with that exact note as a part of the body.

Like: "Form is not properly filled" or "Contact me on phone number xxx xxxxxxxx for clearing out form number YYYY".

The point is that I cannot make a change to the form (it is legally bound to a specific design).

I hope you can understand what I am trying to do.

Sorry for the long post ;)

Sincerely

Kim

Former Community Member
Ok now I understand ....we are speaking of different things. I have dealt with attachments in the process step before but never with notes .....let me investigate and get back to you.

Former Community Member
The notes are turned into a document in the attachment list. You can extract the Document that represents the note and interogate its attributes to get the name and contents of the note.

Level 8
Level 8
Hi again Paul,

Thanks for the info.

But what are the "keywords" that I need to use to get title and body of the note?

I can't find any documentation of it anywhere, I guess it is similar to:

getDocAttribute(/process_data/attachmentVar[1],"wsfilename")

...which is for attachments (all though "wsfilename" does not work correctly for attachments), but what is the apporpriate one to use for notes?

Sincerely

Kim

Former Community Member
If you run a record/playback session and interogate the list variable you will see all of the attributes there. I believe but I am not sure that the description attribute will hold the text of the note and the wsfilename will hold the name of the note.