Expand my Community achievements bar.

Assigning a task then later terminating it from another process

Former Community Member
Hi,

I have a Process problem/idea that I'm trying to resolve. Before I abandon the idea I thought that I'd check with everyone here and see what your thoughts are about its feasibility. My scenario is as follows.

Process 1:

1) Render a form

2) Reader extend the form

3) Send the form to a non-Workspace external user by email.

The form:

* Submit button that sends the form xml to process 2.

Process 2:

1) Catches the form/xml

2) Continues using the data contained in the form/xml.

This is working without any problems.

What I'm trying to figure out is if there's a way that I can assign a task (maybe in the background) to the external form recipient? At the moment I can't track the form once it leaves process 1. If I could trigger a task in Process 1 for the external user/form then escalation and reminders would still occur after a certain time. If on the other hand the form had been caught by process 2 then the task assigned in Process 1 could be terminated allowing process 1 to end and process 2 continue until its completion.

I'd love to hear any thoughts, ideas, opinions on the feasibility of this requirement.

Thanks

Rod Swift

Sydney, Australia
1 Reply

Level 10
I have done something very similar.

What you can do is, like you said, add a user task in process 1 and user a temporary user (tmpuser) to assign to it, since the external user is probably not in user manager.

There are also Events you can leverage as part of LiveCycle. For example, every time a task is created, completed, a reminder is fired, etc. an event is thrown. You can catch those events and act on it. That might be a way to handle them.

As for process 2, you can use the Complete Task service to force the completion of the task and make sure the item moves to the next step of the process.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Jasmin