Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Are there limitations on complexity of forms? What are they?

Level 2
Currently I'm busy assembling a couple (4) of static forms, available in 2 different languages, into one single interactive and dynamic form. This has to run on Acrobat / Reader version 7.

Every form is first developed as a separate fragment. Now we finaly assemble them into the root-form, we get the following message in the log:

"Invalid version: The current version of the XFA template model exceeds the capability of Acrobat / Reader 7.0.5"

Does anyone know about limitations on the capability or complexity of Reader 7? I can't find any information about such limitation. Can it have something to do with using nested fragments or can form's length be the problem?

Thank you in advance for you help.

Kind regards,

Edgar
3 Replies

Former Community Member
Nested fragments could very well be the problem. If I remember correctly, the xfa version supported by Reader 7.0.5 would be 2.2 and you has probably implemented xfa 2.4 or later in your code/form. Forms length in itself shouldn't be the problem, but I could be wrong.

Former Community Member
In each of the fragments that you created you will have to set Form Properties. Open up a fragment, under the File menu/Form properties page there is a Deafults tab. In that tab you can set the version that the form will be designed for. My bet is that you have one of those fragments set to something beyond 7.0.5.

Level 2
The fragment version was my first idea also: checked them all and ensured their all in the correct version. Without any help.

I guess this is more like a 'feature thing'. I tried to rebuilt the form from scratch and found already some issues:

1. It seems Acrobat/Reader 7 don't like fragments on Master Pages. That starts LC Designer to complain about this "exceeding capability"

2. This is a strange one: as soon as I add a (regular) button in a Master Page, this message appears also. Strange, because this shouldn't be a problem! It works properly in a blank form without other items in the header, but at soon as I add the style items this problem appears. (The items on the Master Page are: 2 (positioned) subforms, an (embedded) image, a line and 4 text-objects.)

Any ideas?

(Strange enough Adobe has some whitepapers about differences between target versions, but there is nothing about fragments nor restrictions on Master Pages in it.)