Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Some Android devices being registered target platform Apple

Level 2

I'm working with multiple app dev teams and some of them are reporting that some Android devices being registered target platform Apple.

I believe this is something code related because my application registers fine on the same Launch property, but I wondered if anyone with technical knowledge of this process might be able to explain what might be the issue here.

See top line below...

image.png

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

It turned out there were 2 issues causing this same end result. 1 was front end (dev), 1 seems to be an Adobe back end issue.

1 - Front end

Developer forgot to put the lifecycle start code into their app...

@Override
public void onResume() {
super.onResume();
MobileCore.setApplication(getApplication());
MobileCore.lifecycleStart(null);
}

@Override
public void onPause() {
super.onPause();
MobileCore.lifecyclePause();
}

When lifecycle start was included the device was registered correctly.

2 - Back end issue Privacy

Both developers of different Android apps discovered that if we configure Launch to default to privacy status UNKNOWN, then within the app when consent is given change it to OPT_IN, the devices get registered incorrectly.
If we default the privacy status to OPT_IN they get registered correctly.

I will need to raise this with Adobe support.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Employee

Hi @JAElliott ,

The target platform that a device has on ACS is determined by the ACP SDK which is running on the device (Android or iOS). I remember in a previous post you had mentioned that collectPii had been used to register devices on ACS. Has the Launch rule using collectPii to register devices been disabled? One possible cause for this issue is that you may have some Android devices which are incorrectly triggering the collectPii rule setup for registering iOS devices.

Additionally, it would be very helpful if you could provide some debug logs from devices that are showing the issue.

Thanks,

Ryan

Level 2
The collectPii workaround has been disabled now that the backend problems have been resolved and the Launch rule disabled passing token via contextData.

Level 2
Ok, it turns out there is one potential Adobe back end problem, and one dev issue which was causing the same end result.

Correct answer by
Level 2

It turned out there were 2 issues causing this same end result. 1 was front end (dev), 1 seems to be an Adobe back end issue.

1 - Front end

Developer forgot to put the lifecycle start code into their app...

@Override
public void onResume() {
super.onResume();
MobileCore.setApplication(getApplication());
MobileCore.lifecycleStart(null);
}

@Override
public void onPause() {
super.onPause();
MobileCore.lifecyclePause();
}

When lifecycle start was included the device was registered correctly.

2 - Back end issue Privacy

Both developers of different Android apps discovered that if we configure Launch to default to privacy status UNKNOWN, then within the app when consent is given change it to OPT_IN, the devices get registered incorrectly.
If we default the privacy status to OPT_IN they get registered correctly.

I will need to raise this with Adobe support.

Level 10
Do any of the answers below answer your initial question? If so, can you select one of them as the correct answer? If none of the answers already provided answer your question, can you provide additional information to better help the community solve your question?