Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

AEP SDK: How to change PushPlatform default value GCM ?

Level 4

I am using the AEP SDK and noticing that the payload on startup is set to GCM.

The log entry in Android Studio looks like this:

D/AdobeExperienceSDK: CampaignExtension - processRequest - Campaign Request Queued with url (https://*******-sandbox.adobe.com/rest/head/mobileAppV5/@YbyiVrJB5VoiREkHe_JyohyYvxOREuJjngnWTaKlelvapqcTcnlbk4POgDOUoTLnzkRMQ4Sm6uFh_EIEcdSylkc7eKZXJdHS5jce6WULYr7U6lCyWDfis50xtplhd6mq5mhWbA/subscriptions/84468840125982782508671000597616434081) and body ({"marketingCloudId":"84468840125982782508671000597616434081","pushPlatform":"gcm"})

Can it be changed to another variant like iOS or FCM? And how to do that?

Cheers

Robert

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

@robayzma The payload containing the push platform information is currently sent from within the SDK as part of Campaign registration call based on the platform (android - `gcm` or `fcm` and iOS - `apns`). You should be able to update the value using a launch postback rule but we do not recommend it. What exactly is your use case for trying to update the push platform value later?

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

@robayzma The payload containing the push platform information is currently sent from within the SDK as part of Campaign registration call based on the platform (android - `gcm` or `fcm` and iOS - `apns`). You should be able to update the value using a launch postback rule but we do not recommend it. What exactly is your use case for trying to update the push platform value later?

Level 4

@Swarna_S-Adobe When creating a push event transactional message in Campaign the delivery connected to it, automatically creates 3 variants, iOS,GCM and FCM and the only variant working for receiving Android messages is the GCM variant because of the default value. But when using Push notification from within a workflow then you have to use FCM. This is incongruent behaviour. Also: "On April 10, 2018, Google deprecated GCM. The GCM server and client APIs were removed on May 29, 2019. Migrate GCM apps to Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM), which inherits the reliable and scalable GCM infrastructure, plus many new features. See the migration guide to learn more."https://developers.google.com/cloud-messaging/faq

Employee
@robayzma `gcm` for Android in registration call payload is present due to legacy reasons. Campaign uses fcm APIs in the background whether `gcm` or `fcm` is sent in the payload. For the incongruent behavior you mentioned regarding the push notifications between workflow behavior and transactional message, please reach out to the customer care https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.ec.html to open a ticket on Campaign.

Level 4
@Swarna_S-Adobe Yes I assumed as much that 'gcm' was there because of a legacy reason and that is why it should be an optional setting or configurable parameter that could be set in the SDK, especially since we can confirm it is obsolete as per the statement from Google. I will write to Customer Care or in this case Neolane Support and create a ticket for the behaviour I see in Campaign. Thanks for confirming.