SOLVED

wrong succession of actions in published rule

Level 2

Hi,

when configuring a new rule to fire a tracking request I set three actions:

1. Set Variables

2. Send Beacon

3. Clear Variables

After testing I see an Adobe Analytics request without any props or evars.

And when looking at the published rule it looks like:

1. Send Beacon

2. Set Variables

3. Clear Variables

How can I get this right?

Best,
Frank

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

We released a fix in our release this morning (2018-07-24).  In order to get things ordered correctly, you'll need to open your rule, make a change (you can change the order, then change it back to where it was, that counts), and save the rule.

We are working on an automated process that will fix this automatically for all affected rules, but that will probably not make it into a release until next week, so those negatively impacted can fix it manually now.

Technical details for those curious: under the hood, each action in a rule has an order.  There were some scenarios where the order was not being saved correctly.  Sometimes it didn't matter, and sometimes it caused your actions to appear in a different order than they were when you saved them (if you opened the rule again after save).  The fix waits for a rule to have a change, then when it is saved, it will normalize the order of all rule components, giving them each a new order value based on what you've specified in your rule.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Level 4

If you go to the publishing tab inside Launch and open up your library, is the published version of the rule the latest version? You can actually click on the rule's name inside the library and see the actual version that's being published by that library and see if it matches what you expect to be seeing.

checkver1.png

checkver2.png

Level 2

thanks for your support

But this is not the case The rule uses the latest version, this is not only visible from the revision history but also by other changes in the rule, which are in effect and visible.

Still the beacon is send before the setting of the variables.

In rule configuration:

1522618_pastedImage_1.png

in the submitted library:

1522617_pastedImage_0.png

Level 4

I just tested in my instance, taking a rule that had been working. I added some values to the "Set Variables" call and I'm now seeing the same issue where "Send Beacon" is happening before "Set Variables". I did not change the ordering at all.

This seems like it's an issue with Launch itself - something in the compiling and building of the rules?

Level 2

Thanks Reyhan, I will inform Adobe about it.

Best.

Level 10

Please open a customer care ticket by emailing clientcare@adobe.com. They can open a bug with our engineering department.

Thanks,
Jantzen

Level 4

Same Bug here...it only happens if you have already some Actions then add new ones and click on save. The freshly added ones always go first in the order.

Level 10

Thanks for the tip. When opening the ticket with Customer Care, please reference this thread so the agent can have the context provided here.

Level 1

I'm also experiencing this issue. It is not exclusively when adding new actions but also when you edit existing actions. My clear variables seems to move automatically in front of my send beacon action causing none of set variables to pass. Even when trying to reposition the clear variable back in it's final place it pops back in the automatically positioned order. Thanks for getting this resolved.

Level 9

There is another discussion regarding this issue: Potential bug- switching action order

It is really anoying to have to reopen each rule again, after you clicked save as it may not have saved the order you saw when you clicked save. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Level 10

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for sharing all your feedback on this. It definitely is a bug and the product team is aware of it. They are hoping to have a fix pushed out later this week.

Thanks,
Jantzen

Level 4

Jantzen.Belliston do you have any updates? The end of the week passed by and still, the error persists. I also opened a ticket 3 weeks ago and there is no update on the topic.

For me, this is really a highly time-consuming bug which also caused a lot of errors in my tracking so far!

Correct answer by
Employee

We released a fix in our release this morning (2018-07-24).  In order to get things ordered correctly, you'll need to open your rule, make a change (you can change the order, then change it back to where it was, that counts), and save the rule.

We are working on an automated process that will fix this automatically for all affected rules, but that will probably not make it into a release until next week, so those negatively impacted can fix it manually now.

Technical details for those curious: under the hood, each action in a rule has an order.  There were some scenarios where the order was not being saved correctly.  Sometimes it didn't matter, and sometimes it caused your actions to appear in a different order than they were when you saved them (if you opened the rule again after save).  The fix waits for a rule to have a change, then when it is saved, it will normalize the order of all rule components, giving them each a new order value based on what you've specified in your rule.