Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Writing direct call function as custom code in Adobe Launch rule

Level 1

Hi,

I have a data layer where data is pushed when an event occurs. Normally, I use Direct Call with the name of the event to fire the rule. However, I would like to have several event-names.

I know that it's possible to use several Direct Call's, however, I think it becomes too messy for my purposes here and therefore want to use custom code.

In another forum, I was adviced to use _satellite.track('yourstringgoeshere') in custom code. Although, I am not able to fire the rule by doing this. I am passing the event name as 'yourstringgoeshere'. Is this the right way to do it? Is there anything else I need to do?

Note: Under actions I am using Set Variables and Send Beacon with s.tl().

My previous question was posted here: https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-experience-platform/writing-direct-call-funct... 

Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

No, what I'm suggesting is for your Rule to contain 1 Event and 1 Condition, like so:

yuhuisg_0-1669109575931.png

yuhuisg_3-1669109643255.png

yuhuisg_2-1669109623795.png

Then, in your website code that calls the Direct Call, you use something like this:

var detail = {
  flag: "some value for situation 1",
};
_satellite.track("yourstringgoeshere", detail);

Then, you can replicate all of the above for any other situations that you have, replacing the website code's "flag" line and the Value Comparison condition accordingly.

- What should i put in "yourstringgoeshere"?

I got this from your original post. I assume that you know the actual Direct Call identifier that you should use there.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Community Advisor

Instead of using multiple Direct Calls, you can still use one Direct Call, but include a "details" payload that has something to identify your different situations.

i.e.

var detail = {
};

Now, in your "situation 1" rule, use this Direct Call, and add a Value Comparison condition:

%event.detail.flag% equals "some value for situation 1". Your rule will now run only for situation 1 and no other situations.

Do the same for your other situations.

Hope that helps!

Level 1

@yuhuisg , thanks for your reply!

I am not sure I understand completely:

In a rule, under events, I put 2 events: 1 Direct Call and 1 Custom code.

In Direct call I can put %event.detail.flag%.

In Custom Code:

- How should I write the value (event name from datalayer) for situation 2?

Thanks again!!

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

No, what I'm suggesting is for your Rule to contain 1 Event and 1 Condition, like so:

yuhuisg_0-1669109575931.png

yuhuisg_3-1669109643255.png

yuhuisg_2-1669109623795.png

Then, in your website code that calls the Direct Call, you use something like this:

var detail = {
};

Then, you can replicate all of the above for any other situations that you have, replacing the website code's "flag" line and the Value Comparison condition accordingly.

I got this from your original post. I assume that you know the actual Direct Call identifier that you should use there.

Level 1

I'm not seeing how this code improves the process if you just use a direct call function with the unique trigger name to trigger on.

How is this any different than just having the flag value be the direct call function trigger name? Why is the conditional needed for using flag, what does that gain you unless you are using the same direct call function name and need to differentiate between the two?  From a developer standpoint I don't see the gain?

Community Advisor

@MichaelG wrote:

Why is the conditional needed for using flag, what does that gain you unless you are using the same direct call function name and need to differentiate between the two?

That is indeed what I had stated in my first reply: https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-experience-platform-data/writing-direct-call-...

Instead of using multiple Direct Calls, you can still use one Direct Call, but include a "details" payload that has something to identify your different situations.

I had assumed from the original post that that was what was wanted: a way to reduce the number of Direct Call identifiers. Programmatically, it could be easier to set a flag value (which could also be of different types), rather than having multiple unique Direct Call identifiers.