Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Why aren't my data elements populating with values?

Level 2

I've created data elements for things like my page title, URL path, campaign parameter, etc., but the appropriate values for these are not populating in my reports or debuggers. Instead, I'm getting the actual reference to the data element in my reports. Why is this happening? Am I doing something wrong? Is this a null value of some kind?

1548792_pastedImage_0.png

It seems as if things are set correctly in Launch as far as I can tell. Any thoughts?

1548793_pastedImage_1.png

1548800_pastedImage_2.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

OK!   I learned something new today. This is not a bug after all (Thanks Ben Robison for setting me straight!)

In Launch, since any extension can expose data element types, the "Return Empty String for undefined data elements" must exist at a higher level.  It exists at the Property level.

To enable it, go to the Properties page and select your property. Then click "Configure" as shown below.

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 10.51.14 AM.png

This brings up the view shown below.  Select the checkbox and click save.  Then rebuild your library with these changes.

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 10.51.33 AM.png

If this answers your question, please mark this answer as correct.  Thank you!

-Stew

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

I think you may have uncovered a bug.

In DTM, there is a global configuration at the web property level , Return empty string for undefined Data Elements

This option does not appear to exist for Launch.

For the Launch Core > Page Info > Title data element, if a page does not have a title tag, then the data element is undefined.

In the AA extension, since the data element cannot be resolved, it just keeps the reference (%Page Name%) as you are seeing.

Level 9

Could it be that it doesn't like spaces in the DataElements even if it is not prohibitting it?

And the option stewarts16448458​ mentioned can indeed be found in the property configuration.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

OK!   I learned something new today. This is not a bug after all (Thanks Ben Robison for setting me straight!)

In Launch, since any extension can expose data element types, the "Return Empty String for undefined data elements" must exist at a higher level.  It exists at the Property level.

To enable it, go to the Properties page and select your property. Then click "Configure" as shown below.

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 10.51.14 AM.png

This brings up the view shown below.  Select the checkbox and click save.  Then rebuild your library with these changes.

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 10.51.33 AM.png

If this answers your question, please mark this answer as correct.  Thank you!

-Stew

Level 2

Yep, that works. I also removed the spaces in my data element names which seemed to help as well. Definitely having growing pains with Launch. Thanks!

Level 10

Yes, as a general best practice please avoid space and special characters where possible. In the past, we've seen strange issues in other products with special characters. I'm glad you were able to get this figured out with our awesome community members!

Thanks, stewarts16448458​ & thomas.amsler!