Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

What are possible reasons why ClearVariable fails?

Level 9

We are currently mainly using direct call rules for our tracking. Even the page view itself is a direct call rule, as we had the pageBottom fire when it shouldn't (SPA not finished initializing). All our rules follow the same pattern in the action section: 1-n Set Variables, Send Beacon, Clear Variables.

One of these Set Variables actions is responsible to set s.products and s.events only on product detail pages, to track its view (prodView and a custom event). I now have the strange behaviour that these are not cleared at the end: The product detail page has multiple tabs which we only track minimalistic with the title of the tab, a custom event for tab click and some standard variables which are tracked in a doPlugin method. But the first tab I click also contains s.products and s.events values from the page view rule fired before. The second and any other on page rule are fine and do not contain them, as if the Clear Variables from the tab click rule worked and the one from the page view didn't. Is there any way to debug the Clear Variable action to see if it really isn't executed?

I debugged the tab click rule and there s.products is still populated the first time the rule gets fired.

EDIT: Could there be some issues, if this tab click rule wasn't modified for a while, but we now use a newer version of the Analytics Extension? Do you have to "touch" every single rule if you update one of the extensions that are used within the rule?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

I've seen problems with the ManageVars plugin where it overwrites the s.t function.  It looks like you are having this problem.  Check your doPlugin custom code to see if this is the case.

View solution in original post

34 Replies

Employee

It appears that AppMeasurement 2.11 shipped in Analytics extension 1.6.0 on ~February 11.

Level 1

Has there been any development on the fix/timelines for this issue?

Thanks,

Employee

Unofficially, I've heard that the new version of AppMeasurement is being tested now.  I'd anticipate AppMeasurement itself will be released a little before a Launch extension with that same update.  I'd probably set my expectations for another week or two.

Level 9

Here the update I got from support last week, which is a bit less positive than your information thebenrobb​:

"Quick update. Engineering mentioned that they don't have a solid fix date yet since they are currently working through some issues while testing the fix. They would let us know once they have a more solid fix date and resolution."

Level 1

It seems that the clearVars was fixed within the latest release: https://docs.adobelaunch.com/extension-reference/web/adobe-analytics-extension/adobe-analytics-relea...

Have anyone been successful with it? We still have troubles clearing the variables though.

Level 1

After the update, clearVars is working more in line with what I expected. I did run into some issues with subsequent media analytics calls (from Heartbeat) having their associated contextData cleared, but I found a workaround by calling s.registerPostTrackCallback and clearing linkTrackVars/linkTrackEvents

Level 2

Hi,

I have upgraded to the new version of extensions and looks like the clear variables issue is fixed. I'll report back if I find any other issues, but for now, it seems to work.

Level 9

We can't test this just yet, as there is a minor release upcomming and we do not have the testing resources to risk a stil not working version. We'll test it during the summer.

Level 1

Hi,

I’ve been using the AA Extension 1.7.8 (Adobe Analytics - Adobe Systems  v1.7.8 using AM 2.17.0), and I seem to have a resurgence of a failing Action Type: Clear Variables (which calls the s.clearVars). I’ve debugged it and the original s.clearVars(); works if taken directly from that 2.17.0 AM.js. But for some reason when it’s rendered through Launch, on execution, the function s.clearVars is replaced with an empty call like so:  … see screenshot … that last one doesn’t clear any variables.

image (6).png

I do see the calls made in the console logging:

image (7).png

Under the Launch Developers Slack, there has been a ticket opened in Adobe's product team. But I'm not certain if I'm the only one seeing this issue. In fact, I'm second guessing my error because when I look at the AA extension release notes, I don't even see the 1.7.8 extension release notes:

2019-10-10_12-39-42.png

I wish I didn't update my AA Extension when it proposed me ;-/

Level 1

I am also seeing this issue again after adding 2 new variables to the custom page code of the AA Extension.

Employee

I've asked the Analytics team to take a look.

Employee

I have not been able to reproduce the clearVars issue you reported.  Could you give me some more information such as a link to a page where you see the problem or a link to the Launch package?

Correct answer by
Employee

I've seen problems with the ManageVars plugin where it overwrites the s.t function.  It looks like you are having this problem.  Check your doPlugin custom code to see if this is the case.

Level 1

Hi josnyder​ ! You've found my issue. It's was the manageVars plugin. It was present in the older code and the clearVars function was being overwritten by the plugin. I've completely removed the plugins (manageVars and clearVars). And now we're good to go!

1846971_pastedImage_1.png

Thank you for sharing this tip. I was pulling my hair on this.