Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Some props writing out in a loop, others not. Why?

Level 3

I'm manually setting and submitting an array of document titles in custom code in Launch when a user executes an action. However prop47 isn't getting stored in analytics but it looks like it's getting set in both the Adobe debugger and the console. The data is correct but it's not getting stored. Prop50 is the same value (business requirement, don't bother asking why the duplication) and it is working. Any thoughts on why?

Here's the loop:

for (var i = 0; i < docLength; i++) {

var s=s_gi(xxxxxxxx);

s.linkTrackVars='prop1,prop47,prop50';

s.prop1=articleIDs[i];

s.prop47=myDocs[i];

s.prop50=myDocs[i]; //stores title in the all titles prop

//console.log('in loop' + myDocs[i]);

var interaction = myDocs[i] + ":copy links inline";

s.tl(true,'o',interaction,null);

s.clearVars();

s.prop1='';

s.prop47='';

s.prop50='';

}

Here's a screenshot in the debuggers showing the data;

1817754_pastedImage_0.png

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Since both prop47 and prop50 are sent correctly (as per the screenshot), I would double check the Processing Rules that may overwrite prop47 (similar to VISTA rules if you have them).

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Since both prop47 and prop50 are sent correctly (as per the screenshot), I would double check the Processing Rules that may overwrite prop47 (similar to VISTA rules if you have them).

Level 3

That's a good thought but no, no processing rules.

I feel like there's a lot going on in my rule here. I'm looping through this array (a dynamically created data element) and processing that in a custom block under conditions, then after that I'm setting some other props in the set variable block and then I'm calling a fire beacon to save those. I don't know, i feel like somehow all this is stepping on each other. The set variables are getting consistently written out, but the stuff in the loop I'm not sure what's getting consistently written out and what's not at this point. Part of the issue is how the business/client wants the data, some changes to the front end of the app, etc.

Level 10

Then I would assume that the scenario you have just described does not match the initial screenshot .

Try to find out maybe there is another code in the s_doPlugins of the extension custom code, or in other Rules that may be processed  prior this rule.

Level 3

It does - the data is in the debugger but not showing in analytics. I really don't get it. Is there anything weird about my code? Should I not be doing a clearVars() after the s.tl?

Level 3

Hi, Just following up. I made some slight changes and now when I’m looping through this array of data to send out, the first item in the loop is writing into analytics, but the following items. So if the array has 3 items, only the first is working. I’m still seeing the other two in the debugger, but they aren’t getting written out. Any idea why? Here’s the code:

for (var i = 0; i < docLength; i++) {

var s=s_gi('mfs-distribution-intranets');

s.linkTrackVars='prop1,prop46,prop50';

s.prop1=articleIDs[i]; // stores compliance number

s.prop46=myDocs[i]; //stores title for this action

console.log('in loop ' + i + ' '+ myDocs[i]);

var interaction = myDocs[i] + ":email links";

s.tl(this,'o',interaction);

s.clearVars();

s.prop1='';

s.prop46='';

s.prop50='';

}

Level 2

What happens if you define s and s.linkTrackVars outside of the for loop?

Setting props to '' shouldn't be necessary as clearVars() will set them as undefined. And null isn't necessary as the fourth argument in s.tl(). These shouldn't affect anything, but simplifying your code could make it easier to find bugs.

Are you positive the id you're setting in s_gi() is the name of your report suite?

Level 3

Yep, positive on the report suite (since some of the data is writing out). I tried defining s and s.linkTrackVars outside of the loop but that actually prevented any data from writing out, which seemed odd to me. 

Level 2

Due to clearVars()... I didn't think that through. Very strange... The change you made using s.tl(this...) is going to apply a delay to tracking the link. Your original configuration of s.tl(true...) was best.

Where are you setting docLength? If this isn't working, it seems like there must be other code causing the bug.

Try this:

var s=s_gi('mfs-distribution-intranets');

s.linkTrackVars='prop1,prop46,prop50';

for (var i = 0; i < myDocs.length; i++) {

s.prop1=articleIDs[i]; // stores compliance number

s.prop46=myDocs[i]; //stores title for this action

var interaction = myDocs[i] + ":email links";

s.tl(true,'o',interaction);

s.prop1 = s.prop46 = s.prop50 = undefined;

}

Level 3

Thanks for the help, I'm still getting only the first item in the array written into analytics. DocLength is correct, i can see the arrays in the console, the data is correct, it's just failing somewhere...

Level 10

Morgan, can you share the page URL so that we can have a closer look?

Level 3

I wish I could, Andrey. Sadly, it's an internal SPA.

The main UI looks like this, the user selects from a list of docs via the checkbox and then clicks on the share and gets one of those actions. The UX on this is a mess, but I can't control that.

1819896_pastedImage_0.png

So as the user checks boxes (or unchecks) I have a rule that's managing these in a dynamically created data element. When they select an action (each has its own rule) it processes them out. That's where I'm struggling.

I've been thinking about trying to do this whole thing as s.products but I'd have to figure that out as I haven't implemented it before. This is essentially a shopping cart.

Level 9

How about just contatenating the values and have one tracking call and then take it apart in analytics. Or even use list vars, which are meant for this (though the limitation to only 3 makes them precious). With some limitation you could also just define an eVar to act as a list, though the size limit would still be the same and would cause problems if you need to have many documents in that variable.

Level 10
Do any of the answers below answer your initial question? If so, can you select one of them as the correct answer? If none of the answers already provided answer your question, can you provide additional information to better help the community solve your question?