I've done more advanced, code-based things in DTM/Launch just about as much as anyone, but I've never use a Data Element in conjunction with a function, much less a globally-accessible function.
Perhaps it's just me, but I could really use an example of what a data element would need to look like
I'm with you regarding the level of documentation on this extension. It could use a few concrete examples in order to guide people through the process of setup. That said, I did manage to get it going (details below):
1) For testing, I created a data element (Core extension / custom code) like so:
2) I named the data element, "privacyFunc"
3) I created a rule that runs on Library Load (page top), with an action from the Adobe Privacy extension. I selected "privacyFunc" as my data element. (I think that this rule would be more appropriately triggered by an end user's action relative to a privacy related DOM element).
4) I updated my dev library, published, and tested.
I saw a few interesting things in the console:
A) These are new. They look like the AA collection server. I did not enter my tracking server or visitorNameSpace, so it seems to be making some guesses.
B) This is the output of the function from the data element:
Looking a bit deeper, I see different messaging on the action to Remove Identities
I think that the purpose of the function is to allow you to provide feedback to the user of what identities exist, which have been removed, and which have not been removed. That's my guess.
Anyway, I hope that this speeds you along. I'd be interested in knowing how your findings once you get it all hooked up.