Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to avoid profile merge when multiple users are using same desktop to access one web application?

Level 2

Hi Team,

I have an e-commerce Web Application with AEP SDK built in it. The scenario is - User A and User B both are using same desktop (so ECID is same) to browse my Web App and using their own email-id to do browsing and purchase. Though the email-ids are different, and ECID is same for them, the profiles for User A and User B are getting merged. How can I resolve this issue? Is there any way we can force to generate different ECID per user Login (when email-id is different)?

Thanks a lot in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

No. I don't know. Would be try & error for me as well.

Deleting the cookie would have been my first attempt, too.

I searched, but did only find this older post.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @bitunsen 

You can try this option as Syncing identities

Syncing identities allows you to identify a device/user using multiple identities, set their authentication state and decide which identifier is considered the primary one. If no identifier has been set as primary, the primary defaults to be the ECID.

alloy("sendEvent", {
  xdm: {
    "identityMap": {
      "ID_NAMESPACE": [ // Notice how each namespace can contain multiple identifiers.
        {
          "id": "1234",
          "authenticatedState": "ambiguous",
          "primary": true
        }
      ]
    }
  }
});

More info at - https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-platform/edge/identity/overview.html?lang=en#sync... 

Level 2

Hi Gokula,

Thank you very much for your response. I may be wrong, but what I understand is, whether ECID is primary or not, ultimately same ECID will be attached with the multiple profiles and then it will go through the merge policy for sure. And looks like it is a known problem and being highlighted in Experience League as well. I found this today only.

Understanding that, in today's world we all use personal device, but sharing a personal laptop among couples or being in same household is quite common as well. Not sure how we can handle this. Not able to figure out how to handle this. 

Level 1

Where you able to find a solution for this? we are facing the same issue and wondering if someone already has a solution for this

Level 1

Was any approach or workaround found for this use case?
We are in the same scenario and looking for potential fixes.

Thank you!

Luis Moreno

Level 4

You may try to remove/destroy the ECID upon logout (client side, using JS).
However, be aware that then you probably will get issues after 50 login/profile merge operations.

Level 2

Hi Maggod,

Do you know how to destroy the ECID upon logout? Any help/hint will be really helpful. I tried to delete the cookies using client-side javascript, but that didn't work.

Thanks in advance.

Correct answer by
Level 4

No. I don't know. Would be try & error for me as well.

Deleting the cookie would have been my first attempt, too.

I searched, but did only find this older post.