Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

events set by multiple rules do not stack

Level 2

While Testing the implementation rule order to stack different values before sending the beacon props and eVars seem to work as expected, but the event's string, although it appears stacked on the debugger, doesn't send all the events when the server call is triggered.

Below is the first rule, order 10, which sets a bunch of props and eVar and also event45

events-order-10.png

Below is the second rule, order 25, which sets some other of props, eVars and also event4,event24 which appear stacked with the previous event45

events-order-25.png

Below is the beacon that was sent, order 50, with only event4,event24

events-server-call.png

I'm not sure if that's a bug or there's a reason all the events are not being stacked.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

linkTrackEvents only specifies which events should be tracked in an image request. The events variable specifies which events trigger. For example:

s.events = "event1,event2,event3";

s.linkTrackEvents = "event3,event4,event5";

If you sent a link tracking call with these two variables, you would only see event3 since it was the only one included in both s.events and s.linkTrackEvents. This is also the case with your screenshot.

https://forums.adobe.com/ideas/10273

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

linkTrackEvents only specifies which events should be tracked in an image request. The events variable specifies which events trigger. For example:

s.events = "event1,event2,event3";

s.linkTrackEvents = "event3,event4,event5";

If you sent a link tracking call with these two variables, you would only see event3 since it was the only one included in both s.events and s.linkTrackEvents. This is also the case with your screenshot.

https://forums.adobe.com/ideas/10273

Community Advisor

This seems like an oversight to me.

While I would agree that if you have two AA Set Variables Actions in sequence if you set prop1 to "Apples" and then set prop1 to "Oranges" when you send the beacon, you would expect prop1 to be "Oranges" since prop1 can only have one value.

The same, however, is not expected for s.events since it can have multiple values. I feel that s.events should be more of an accumulator and that you should expect to be able to set different events within it in sequenced actions across multiple rules.

I guess the first step is to agree on how it should work.  The next step is to make sure that it works that way.

Level 9

I would say props should also potentially be additive because you can configure them to be list props.

I think it would be good to have a checkbox next to events and additive/list type variables (events, products, props, listX, hierX) to enable them to be appended instead of overwriting.