Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

eVars along with different properties

Level 2

Hi all

We do have a launch setup which includes different properties e.g. a property for the corporate page, a property for some calculators which drives conversions. Is it possible that eVars persist through different properties?

Example:

I persist a searchterm on property 1 and the conversion is made in property 2. Is it possible to do a analysis which searchterm drives the most conversion events? We do have a ONESUITE in AA, where it all comes together, but I assume as soon as the property changes, the s object is lost?

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

After some investigations, evars persist along ECID value (visitor identification). If the ECID or mid parameter is the same across properties for the same user than the evar will persist and be attributed to the same user. So just making sure that every property is using the ECID Service in Launch.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Level 9

The only thing I can see is some custom logic with cookies or session Storage if both properties run on the same (top) domain. The s object is re initialized per page load, so you can't even store something there for multiple pages.

Level 2

Hi Thomas, thanks for your reply. Isn't Session Storage Domain based, as it is not possible to persist variables through different subdomains (e.g. test.domain.com to domain.com), or am I wrong?

Level 9

Yes, Session Storage is domain and even protocol based: Window.sessionStorage - Web APIs | MDN

That's why I also mentioned cookies, which you can store als wildcard cookies like ".domain.com".

Level 2

Ok so If we want to an analysis on which search term drives conversion on another property, I have to transmit it by cookies, to persist these values.

Thanks

Level 9

That is one option, I don't know your full use case. Having a campaign logic in place would be another. I am more on the technical side than on the analytics, so I try to provide technical solutions...

Level 2

The case is that eVars are very powerful, as they persist along e.g. a session. So if a User does a conversion event, I can analyse which eVars (e.g. searchterm, event actions, productviews) happend in the same session and gave credit to the success event. As the conversion is on another property, these powerful features are not available per default, as the persistence is not there along different properties.

Correct answer by
Level 2

After some investigations, evars persist along ECID value (visitor identification). If the ECID or mid parameter is the same across properties for the same user than the evar will persist and be attributed to the same user. So just making sure that every property is using the ECID Service in Launch.